Driftwood turned tank water brown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oscarr19

Aquarium Advice Addict
Its what I get for not soaking it. I bought it at my LFS. It turned the tank water to a brownish color. The tank has been up for almost two weeks now. The driftwood also has white cloudy slime growing on it. I tried adding nutrafin waste control since I got it with my tank. I'll see if it helps in the morning. As far as tank water can I do a big water change tomorrow? Around 40%

It will continue to turn your water brown for weeks, maybe longer. I have quite a bit of mopani wood in my 125. I soaked it for weeks before setting up the tank (months ago) and it's still tinting the water. I change 40 gallons and put a fresh load of carbon in one of the 2 aquaclear 110's, it clears up for a week, then the carbon is loaded and it starts getting darker again.
A bristlenose pleco would be helpful for keeping the wood (and the glass) clean if the tank is cycled and you have stocking space.

toddnbecka said:
It will continue to turn your water brown for weeks, maybe longer. I have quite a bit of mopani wood in my 125. I soaked it for weeks before setting up the tank (months ago) and it's still tinting the water. I change 40 gallons and put a fresh load of carbon in one of the 2 aquaclear 110's, it clears up for a week, then the carbon is loaded and it starts getting darker again.
A bristlenose pleco would be helpful for keeping the wood (and the glass) clean if the tank is cycled and you have stocking space.

I have a question..
Are those new eheim gravel vacs worth buying?

Oscarr19 said:
It's still safe to start stocking my tank right?

The tannins (what causes the tea colored water) won't do any harm...it can lower pH a bit and be unsightly...but the fish don't mind the color.

As for being safe to stock...is the tank cycled? Using seeded media?

The tank is cycled and ready for fish. I'm running a fluval 205 and AC30. The fluval was from an established tank so when I set it up I added a few fish and tested for a week. I had no spikes or mini cycles.

Good deal. Make sure you post some pics when it's stocked :). I'd still add them slowly since it's been a few weeks with a small bio-load.

I've got a few pics in my build thread. The link is in my sig if you'd like to check it out. I still have some rocks and plants to get but I'm starting to stock this weekend.

Oh btw I meant AC50 not 30. Got A LOT of water movement at the surface. Nothing to bad lol the minnows love swimming against it. Hopefully it clears up soon. :)

Back
Top Bottom