Driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

josh7

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got some driftwood from the bottom of a local lake I have been boiling it for 2 hours when could I add it to my fish tank for my pleco.

I'd wait a few days at the least. I got mine from a river connected to the Gulf and I soaked and boiled it for over a month but I was also building my tank so that is part of the reason. I'd wait just because it's a lake and not a fresh body of water.

You don't want to rush it and have something happen. I'd soak it a few days and boil it and then put it in, just MO. If you really want you could do it tomorrow but it may color your water depending on how long it was in the lake.

It hasn't been there long it's a lake with constant fresh water so does that change it at all

ah I'd still be safe and boil it longer than a few hours. Better to be on the safe side and have cleaner wood than have something happen.
Most people don't like the discoloration if the water hasn't soaked long enough and end up going more water changes to clear it up.

Carbon is really good to have when you first put in your driftwood.

Actually I have boiled it for going on 3 hours and no water has turned brown is that normal.

I would still soak it for a week. Change the water twice a day then when you see it is not turning it brown it is good to go. If you get a little bag of carbon it will take the brown out of the water. Just make sure you are not using meds because the carbon will also take the meds out as well...

One more question if it's elmwood is that okay for the pleco.

josh7 said:
Actually I have boiled it for going on 3 hours and no water has turned brown is that normal.

Even after boiling it may turn brown a little at a time. Ive had the same drift wood for years and it still changes to a brown after 2 or 3 weeks. Then I just do my water changes.

Really I just do 50 percent weekly water changes anyway so I guess I should be fine there.

It is always going to leak a little bit of tannins. As long you do your water changes you will be fine...

Not always. If a piece is real driftwood that has been submerged for a long period of time, the tannins might be gone. I have several pieces from local creeks and rivers (blackwater river/ coldwater creek) that have never released tannins.

Having tannins in the water is mostly just an aesthetic issue anyhow, a lot of the fish that we keep are originally from waters that have some tannins in them.

As far as disinfecting the new wood, boiling usually does the trick, but I usually get my pieces from a collector that lets them sit out in the sun for a year and then into dry outdoor storage, so there's not much chance of anything living making it to the tank. I would think that boiling for a few hours would serve the same purpose in that regard.

Perfect sounds like you are good to go to put it in there... I know the Pleco will enjoy it...

Okay I put it in how long does it usually take them to find the wood.

Thanks for the help that didn't take long the pleco is already munching on the wood.

Back
Top Bottom