driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

papi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My daughter has a bristle nose pleco, and I know that they need fiber in their diet. One, I've been trying to feed it vegies and it hasn't bit, two I've heard that I need driftwood for the tank. This can be kind of expensive. Any ideas? I saw cholla cactus on aquabid and only read a little about that. Again, any ideas? Thanx.

Have you tried the veg overnight or with the tank lights off? Plecs can be a bit shy/nocturnal so I wonder if that would help.

I've read that some do like cholla but I don't know if it would have the same health benefits since it's a plant (cactus) and not technically wood.

I bought driftwood for two of my plecos at my local Pet Supermarket, out of their tanks, planted with an anubias plant for 14.98 each took it home and put them right in the tanks. My guess is that it will last for years so not really that much if you think about it over the long hall....Alison

Thanx,
Yeah I've tried cuccumber and also just tried broccoli last nite. Gonna check on broccoli after work. Thanx for thoughts on driftwood. Do you think it would matter that it is not a planted tank, since you don't have to plant anubias?

No it doesn't have to be a planted tank. Anubias is easy to grow and doesn't require anything except lo light and the fish waste. With a BN pleco you get plenty of free fertilizer , HEHE. I have 3 of them . one in each tank and they are my favorite fish. Try a thick slice of raw zucchini squash. Stick a fork or bamboo squewer in it to hold it down. It can take them a few times to realize that it is food. Don't peel the squash. One of mine loves the skin which I just wash under running water, he eats the peel first, and then goes for the insides. My other two like the inside better. Raw broccoli florets are also a big hit. Any type of squash, pumkin, dark leafy greens, green beans, carrot, basically most veggies that you would eat are fine for them, cabbage etc. Also fruits, like melons, strawberry, apple etc. The only foods that I don't feed are citrus fruits, tomatoes, hot peppers, onions, avocado, or pineapple. Keep trying different things till you find out what your's like. That is half the fun of having them. Alison

Thanx for advice. Question about fruit. Do they need blanched like veggies? I know strawberries are prob. soft enough, but what about apples, etc.? and onions, really?....lol. Never would have guessed.

Most things I feed raw. All fruits I feed raw. I take the seeds out of fruits like apple pieces or peaches . Also cantaloupe and squash seeds from any of the winter squashes, like acorn, delicate, pumpkin, etc. I leave the seeds in cukes and summer squash and zuchinni, they are soft and the plecos like them. I buy seedless watermelon which also has very soft seeds that I don't worry about . seedless grapes just cut in half, Strawberries I just take off the green top and in they go. Brussle sprouts I buy frozen and just thaw and put in the tank. NO ONIONS. I have blanched sweet potatoe and carrots just to soften them a bit. Alison

Back
Top Bottom