drilling and sealing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zmckenzie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Fellow nano-reefers,

As I almost have my tank all ready to add live rock and live sand, there is still a couple of things I would like to do in which I need you advice. I am working with a 24 gallon Aquapod.

1. I replaced the stock pump with a mj 1200 and also bought a hydro flo for it. Currently the Hydro flo is a little to high using the return. It is pushing water onto my lights cover. I was thinking that I would drill a hole bellow the current return. When it comes to drilling the plastic, is there anything I need to be worried about? I was also just planning on having the tube just go directly to the hole so I don’t loose any flo. What should I use to seal around the tubing going through the wall and what or how should I cover the old return inlet?

2. After replacing the stock pump and adding another fan to the hood, I was able to get the temp down to 79 from 83, but I would still like to get it a little lower. Today I opened the feeder plate thing on the hood and felt a lot of heat come out of it. So I thought I should maybe take a router or something to make it have vents. I have seen people put a fan on it but that scares me a bit. Do you think just making the vent holes would help a little? I know it would allow the water to evaporate out.

3. Lastly, I currently have my mj 900 with hydro flo in the main part of the tank, which I really don’t like to look of. I was thinking about adding the pump to the left chamber with the mj1200. I would run my ½ tubing through the dividing wall by drilling a hole and then drill another hole on the right side like I plan on doing for the right side of the tank. My main concern is that between the two pumps in the back chamber will be pulling 550 gph through the right side (vents and overflow skimmer if you seen a pod you know what I am talking about)

Well as always thanks for all your help. I plan to still make a stand for the aquapod and make sure everything else is fine with the tank before ordering the ls and lr. Hopefully I will be able to order the lr and ls in about three weeks. Once again thanks again.

Zachary

Drilling acrillic: put masking tape on both sides of the plastic before drilling, use a sharp bit.

Anything that allows more evaporation will cool the tank. It's a give and take. On small tanks like that, a peltier cooler may also be an option.

I think that kind of flow through the chamber will be quite noisy, but there's no reason why it wouldn't work. Are you setting the hydro flow up as a closed loop, only placing the pump behind the divider? If so, I wouldn't worry about it, the extra flow will remian contained in the tubing.

Back
Top Bottom