Drop checker?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I once made a drop checker out of a plastic container from a gumball/toy machine, the plastic narrow end of a ball point pen, and a suction cup. It was ugly, but it worked. I've since gone with a red sea drop checker, which isn't much prettier. If it was in a display tank I'd probably fork out for one of those pretty glass ones. I found a writeup on how to DIY it on some forum

Really? How come you didn't tell me? Lol. Which one though, the high ph or just the ph test kit?

I guess I don't need to buy a bromothymol blue then. I'll just use my pH test kit :)

Haha! Did you end up explaining to him how it works? And that it's not old school? :D

Nope, he knew exactly what I was talking about. Out of about 50 LFS employees, he's 1 of maybe 3 people that even knew what fishless cycling meant. But like many things we think is a new idea, has in fact been around for years.

fort384 said:
I just bought 3 drop checkers for $10. Thanks rook.

Does it mean you're planning to build 3 more tanks? :D

jetajockey said:
the regular ph one, not the high range. The drop checker goes from blue to green to yellow

Ok. Thanks :)

Does it mean you're planning to build 3 more tanks? :D

Nah, but I am a clutz. It's always good to have extra glass laying around... diffusers, inflows, outflows, drop checkers... I have my own little fish hardware store goin...

mfdrookie516 said:
little being key... :) You know you want a big tank again

Did you use to have big tanks Justin? Pics? :)

nahhh, nothing big that was planted. The largest planted tank I have had was 29 gal. I had a couple of bigger tanks when I was much younger, but they were not planted.

I see. You're planning to build a 150g ADA setup, right? You should do it. I bet it will look really nice.

eventually I want to have a large rimless tank. I haven't decided yet if it will be a reef tank or a planted tank...

Reef tank is interesting. I wouldn't be surprise if you'll try to squeeze in some plants in there :D

Back
Top Bottom