drug-resistant camalanus worms?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigzmey

Aquarium Advice Activist
Couple of years ago I had an emperor tetra infected with camalanus worms. After one round of treatment with fenbendazole flakes (from Angelplus) they were all gone and the fish lived happily after that.

This year I got my second fish tank infected with camalanus worms after I bought some guppies for my daughter. This time I went through 5 rounds of treatment with fenbendazole flakes over 2 months period. Not only they did not cure the guppies but one of my mollies got infected. So, I got levamisole flakes from Angelplus. Did already 2 rounds of treatments, but the worms seems to be unaffected. I know fish are eating the flakes, since the flakes are blue and I see blue-colored poop coming out of infected fish.

Any suggestions? Thanks god I did not put the guppies into my main tank...

Yes I've heard many reports of resistance to Fenbendazole, I would switch to Levamisole HCL. I've also heard some had the same resistance to Levamisole HCL, but those are the top two choices for treatment. A few members of our local club have been using Panacur(horse dewormer) with some great results if the first two fail, this certainly one of the more frustrating things to deal with.

Last edited:
Try using the pure drug and the flake together. Vermisol is the trade name for lavamisole and it's sold at Jedds Pigeon supply:

Vermisol

This worked for me with my guppies. Pre-mix with a bit of vodka in an empty water bottle and shake.

Try using the pure drug and the flake together. Vermisol is the trade name for lavamisole and it's sold at Jedds Pigeon supply:

Vermisol

This worked for me with my guppies. Pre-mix with a bit of vodka in an empty water bottle and shake.

Edit: After a conversation with a friend I didn't realize that Panacur is just a brand name paste containing Fenbendazole.

Back
Top Bottom