Dry Start Method help plz!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragonfisher33

Aquarium Advice Addict
after the failure attempt in carpetting dwarf hairgrass in my 30 gal aquarium using DIY co2 method(DHG just wouldn't grow at all), i came across the dry start method(DSM). i filled my little bowl with eco complete substrate and stick the remaining patch of my DHG and partially filled the bowl with water, just enough to see the water level. it's been almost 3 weeks and the leaves on the DHG are turning yellow and i dont see anything popping out beneath the substrate. looks like this is another failed attempt, can someone give me a pointer or two on this issue?

Ecocomplete doesn't have any macro nutrients in it, and if you're turning yellow it could be a sign of macro nutrient deficiency. Did you fill it with tank water or tap water?

Dirt would be better but it's not for everyone. I would read a bit about it before you go down that path. That being said, DHG grows very well in dirt. Alternatively, you can try to use tank water if you've got another tank handy.

:thanks: so I've put soil (miracle grow i think) and wet it with aquarium water, replanted the DHG. fingers crossed.

Just a side note: i thought eco-complete should be "complete" in terms of providing plant growth in aquarium. but isn't the fact that it lacks macro-nutrient contradictory to it's own advertising for being "complete"?

:thanks: so I've put soil (miracle grow i think) and wet it with aquarium water, replanted the DHG. fingers crossed.

Just a side note: i thought eco-complete should be "complete" in terms of providing plant growth in aquarium. but isn't the fact that it lacks macro-nutrient contradictory to it's own advertising for being "complete"?

It depends a lot on the macros that come naturally from fish waste.

That's pretty much correct.

Back
Top Bottom