DSB in fuge a good idea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TomStav

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have been reading up on how benificial deep sand beds are if done correctly, I have a 1' x 1' section in my sump that is empty and was wondering if that is enough room to actually benifit the tank by having a DSB.

Its a 72G w/ 30G sump.

I am thinking of doing a 6" sand bed in the refugium with 2" of crushed coral as the base and 4" of aragonite as the middle and surface layers.

is this a g]ood idea or not?

Tom

If your tank is already established you may see a spike in your parameters but I dont see how it would hurt...

newreefaddict said:
If your tank is already established you may see a spike in your parameters but I dont see how it would hurt...

It is established, been running for a few years but I just "remodeled" the sump so I have an extra compartment to fill.

I don't think you'd see a spike if you're adding dry aragonite sand. I'd probably skip out on the crushed coral. From what I understand you want the anerobic areas that the sand will provide. That's why some people use mud instead of sand. From my understanding, the finer the sand, the more effective the DSB. I may be 100% wrong, and if I am someone feel free to correct me! lol

tjm80 said:
I don't think you'd see a spike if you're adding dry aragonite sand. I'd probably skip out on the crushed coral. From what I understand you want the anerobic areas that the sand will provide. That's why some people use mud instead of sand. From my understanding, the finer the sand, the more effective the DSB. I may be 100% wrong, and if I am someone feel free to correct me! lol

I am no expert and you may be right but from what I gathered by having CC at the bottom (below 4+" of fine aragonite) it allows more room for the anaerobic bacteria to survive. Not 100% on this...

I appreciate the input from the both of you!

I would also skip the crushed coral. The bacteria live on surfaces and not as much in the water its self. So having a fine grain will provide more surface area. Advanced aquarist did a study a while back that I believe came to the conculsion that the "miracle mud" was not an improvement over DSBs of other grain sizes. Having a more diverse grain sized sand bed allows for a greater diversity of fauna in the sand bed which is what your aiming for. The largest portion (probably around 75%) should be in the range of sugar sized grains of sand.

You should not experience a spike in your levels if your using dry sand. I would however rinse the sand once or twice before putting it in the tank. This will help to clean out some of the dust so it doesn't cloud your water as much. If there is already water in the sump section people use a large diameter piece of PVC to pour the sand down to the bottom and this seems to help reduce the sand storm a bit as well.

A 1' x 1' section of sand bed is not going to make a black and white huge difference in that sized tank but I think it will help and is worth doing. Especially if you don't have anything better to do with the space. Keep in mind it will take at least a good month and a half before you see and difference in your levels and several months longer for the bed to really become mature and start making a real difference.

pat8you said:
I would also skip the crushed coral. The bacteria live on surfaces and not as much in the water its self. So having a fine grain will provide more surface area. Advanced aquarist did a study a while back that I believe came to the conculsion that the "miracle mud" was not an improvement over DSBs of other grain sizes. Having a more diverse grain sized sand bed allows for a greater diversity of fauna in the sand bed which is what your aiming for. The largest portion (probably around 75%) should be in the range of sugar sized grains of sand.

You should not experience a spike in your levels if your using dry sand. I would however rinse the sand once or twice before putting it in the tank. This will help to clean out some of the dust so it doesn't cloud your water as much. If there is already water in the sump section people use a large diameter piece of PVC to pour the sand down to the bottom and this seems to help reduce the sand storm a bit as well.

A 1' x 1' section of sand bed is not going to make a black and white huge difference in that sized tank but I think it will help and is worth doing. Especially if you don't have anything better to do with the space. Keep in mind it will take at least a good month and a half before you see and difference in your levels and several months longer for the bed to really become mature and start making a real difference.

Thanks, I will just use dry aragonite, although it's a small surface area it's got to be better than leaving it empty, is 6" deep enough, I have about 10" at my disposal.

A DSB is a good idea IMO

No, you should not see a spike in parameters from dry sand....

Yes, CC is okay under fine aragonite. What you MUST do is use a fiberglass screen. Get it from Home Depot. You add the CC, put the screen over it to separate the two layers. Have it come up a little on the sides, like a tray.

CC traps detritus and there will be some critters that dig in the sand and they can get that detritius down there. The screen keeps the layers separated and prevents detritus build up.

I agree that 1x1 is too small to make a major impact, but it will help. Add in some cheato and a hang on light and you've got a nice fuge setup. Avoid any fish or inverts that dig or eat algae. It's a great place for bristleworms

PrettyFishies said:
A DSB is a good idea IMO

No, you should not see a spike in parameters from dry sand....

Yes, CC is okay under fine aragonite. What you MUST do is use a fiberglass screen. Get it from Home Depot. You add the CC, put the screen over it to separate the two layers. Have it come up a little on the sides, like a tray.

CC traps detritus and there will be some critters that dig in the sand and they can get that detritius down there. The screen keeps the layers separated and prevents detritus build up.

I agree that 1x1 is too small to make a major impact, but it will help. Add in some cheato and a hang on light and you've got a nice fuge setup. Avoid any fish or inverts that dig or eat algae. It's a great place for bristleworms

Thanks, would window screen material work? Just a thought!

The Fiberglas type will work, avoid any metal screening. I am an old timer in that in my 300 gallon reef (20 years old) I have 2" of "live" coral sand. This has worked out well for me, but hasn't for others. In an attempt to model what I saw diving on reefs, I liked the sand and associated sand dwellers. I have to clean it about once a year and turn it over (what the critters don't do). I do think it helps with buffering and my reef population seems to enjoy having it.

Back
Top Bottom