Dual 24W T5 HO or spend the money on a Quad 24W?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

germanyt

Aquarium Advice Freak
Petco is running a 25% off everything online sale with free shipping over $49. I was considering picking up their Zoo Med Aquasun 24" T5HO for less than 50 bucks and the reviews on the site for this lamp are great but I feel like I might be buying something just to want more in a few months. Also, the mounting system has the screws just on the inside of the tank which means my glass top may not sit flat. I don't know what to do. I was hoping someone could offer some insight.

That really depends on the tank size and what you are after to grow. The one problem I know with the zoo meds is they have a poor reflector. Good for creating low to medium light

25 tall. Sheesh, I'd go quad. I upgraded from the Zoo Med dual T5 HO to the Aqua Clear Quad T5 HO. On my 29g that gives me enough light to grow anything I may ever want to.
My plants are getting awesome colors. I use 3 Giesemann daylight 6000k and one Giesemann Flora max (about 5000K). It has timers and a night light. I love it. BUT! With the recent advances in LED's I would look seriously at them as well. Look up Brian_Nano12g in here. He has some great info on LED's. Good luck, OS.

If you're wanting to go with a high-tech setup, the quad would be better IMO. However if you're aiming for lower-medium light, the dual would be fine. As for LEDs, you'll just have to do your research. The up-front cost is much higher than that of T5HOs, but the T5HO bulb replacement costs will start to add up, plus you'll save on the energy bill if you do LEDs. However, I'm not sure about petco's selection of more powerful LED fixtures, so you'll probably just stick to T5HO if you're buying because of the sale.

I wouldn't do the 4 bulb unless you are going pressurized co2 and whatnot.

I have DIY CO2 and I use fertilizer. I also just picked up some additional substrate because I'm having a hard time keeping my plants planted. The ones that are staying in place have roots that are getting out of control.

Water is a tad cloudy because of the 10-12 lbs of substrate I just put in the tank.

img_2531113_0_837bddc2075bf3cad83489518511d3bb.jpg

img_2531113_1_3b3be8900b818cf875de2bcdfccf4a87.jpg

And that's my new electric yellow cichlid. I donated the platies back to the store. We'll see how well a planted tank does with 2 African cichlids in it. So far so good.

If you're wanting to go with a high-tech setup, the quad would be better IMO. However if you're aiming for lower-medium light, the dual would be fine. As for LEDs, you'll just have to do your research. The up-front cost is much higher than that of T5HOs, but the T5HO bulb replacement costs will start to add up, plus you'll save on the energy bill if you do LEDs. However, I'm not sure about petco's selection of more powerful LED fixtures, so you'll probably just stick to T5HO if you're buying because of the sale.

I'm currently using a 28 watt T5 dual and a 15 watt T8 single. 6700K and 6500K. I was thinking of getting the T5HO and using it alongside the T5 I already have. Then using the T8 for a low light planted guppy tank for my daughter. A Bubble Guppy tank.

If you get the zoomed, just a warning, it doesn't come with the bulbs, you need to buy them separately

Back
Top Bottom