Dual Daylight (6,700 & 10k) PC Light Bulb-any good for R

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WhiteCloud

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have been having some difficultly getting a replacement 10,000K 34 inch 96 watt PC bulb from Big Al's Online for a broken bulb I got when I bought a Coralife Lunar Aqualight from them. They shipped me a new bulb...and it came broken in a million pieces. They refused to send me any more bulbs (until I got angry)...and now they will not ship until UPS pays for an insurance claim on the latest bulb. Anyway...my SW tank has been set up for 2 weeks...but only with the Actinic Light. I have yet to see my tank in fully lighted glory.

I am getting a little inpatient! I live in an area without many LFS..and none that carry higher end lighting routinely.

I finally found a LFS 1.5 hours away that has a light that would work in my fixture. It is a:

Current 33.5", 96 Watt Dual Daylight:
The 96 watt Dual Daylight features a 6700k and 10,000k tube within each lamp and gold-plated, corrosion-resistant pins (square GY10Q configuration) for improved conductivity

Is this light really recommended for a reef tank? I have 6700K FW lights on 90 FW...but is that soft of a light recommened for a SW reef tank? Does it cause more algae to grow?

Just wondering if out of inpatience I should get this light...or should I wait the weeks it will take to get my replacement (I HOPE this one is not broken)?

Thoughts?

That is a Current USA bulb for the Orbit ans Satellite fixtures. I have one, works ok and gives good color IMO. No algae problems here, however I wonder if my tank would look better with a full 10K bulb. Too bad it is so far away, otherwise you could just go check it out in person and see if you like it or now.

Will this bulb only fit in the Current Orbit and satelite fixtures...or will it also fit in my Coralife fixture?

WC

Yeah Grim..the only place that has any in stock is Bobs Tropical Fish in Nobleboro. Everyone else would gladly order me one...but I am a little inpatient

WC

Will this bulb only fit in the Current Orbit and satelite fixtures...or will it also fit in my Coralife fixture?

It will fix any fixture meant for PC lights with the matching pin arrangement (straight or square). I was only noting where the bulbs came from in case you were worried that they were crappy bulbs.

Never hurts to take a road trip on boring day. I have been to Bob's a few times and it takes me around an hour to get there :D

Anyway, here is my tank with the dual daylight + dual actinic, no camera flash:

tank2.jpg

It looks better in person, but you should be able to tell it is not looking yellow or anything from the 6700K being in the bulbs.

Grim...

Nice looking tank! That light looks just fine! I think I may be taking a trip this weekend!

Is that the clown you have been having such a hard time with in the picture? He is looking pretty good now.

Captive Reefs...

Thanks for verification that I can use it...again...I wish I could wait for one mail order....your prices looks pretty good on all your PC bulbs!

WC

Is that the clown you have been having such a hard time with in the picture? He is looking pretty good now.

Yep, that is the sick clown. It is not getting better, not getting worse. Tried dipping it a few times without much sucess, and it causes the Clown to swim funny afterwards. I am leaving the Clown in the tank unless it starts to get worse. That is probably risking the Royal Gramma, but I think it gives the Clown the best chance. If the Clown has what I think it has, the RG will not be bothered by it anyway. I keep hoping that any day now it will fight off the disease/parasite/whatever on its own. Just trying to keep the Clown happy and active until something happens.

Back
Top Bottom