Dwarf Cichlid Setup Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arget

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm planning on setting up a Dwarf Cichlid tank. This will be my first attempt at Cichlids. I'm getting a 50g and a 60g, but am not sure about which would be the better choice. I plan on either getting a biotope with Cockatoo Cichlids, or Julies. The Cockatoos, if I can find them and they are within budget, will be in a biotope tank. What exact fish share the same space as them? Will they eat ottos? Do they need sand, and if so how deep? Do they need a strong current? Will a sponge filter attached to the intake of a canister filter prevent the sand from gumming up the canister or damaging it? Any fish suggestions to make it look natural? The Julies are my second choice, I'd much rather have the cockatoos.

Most dwarves will stay low in the aquarium. To me, the 50 is better. I have a 60 with Bolivian rams. A bunch of dead space

I know next to nada about Africans. South America dwarves next something that has been established for a bit to thrive. Ottos are good. Many cories, lots of tetra choices.

Okay, I got the tanks. It turned out that it was a 55g and a 60g. How many Tetras and trumpet snails? I'm trying to make sure that it is as natural as possible, but this is my first attempt at a Biotope tank, let alone any Cichlids. Exactly how deep does the substrate need to be?

Okay, went to my lfs and read up a bit more. What are good biotope companions for Kribs Cichlids? Exactly how many would fit without issues in a 55g?

Probably the only "common " tetra would be the Congo. They are nice

The Kribs won't chase them or be too aggressive? I did some reading up, and it seems that the Kribs might chase them when they are breeding.

They will protect territory. Congos are big fast tetra s

Back
Top Bottom