Dwarf Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevenht

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Which Dwarf Cichlids can safely live in a 46 bow front? Assuming there are no fish in the tank already.

Any and all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What are some of the more popular cichcilids besides rams?

What are some of the more popular cichcilids besides rams?
What do you mean?:nono:
Just kidding !;)
Many get into Apistogrammas. Although what is available locally may be limited there are over 200 sp. and many available on sites like AquaBid.
:popcorn:

My LFS has a 140 gallon all cichlid tank and it's what has inspired me. They're so smart and interactive and I like that about them.

I was reading about apistogrammas. I like them a lot. I just don't know if my LFS has those.

What are the small, long, and skinny ones that are black with very vibrant blue along the sides?

They probably have a mbuna tank which are African rift lake cichlids and very different than apistos

Yah, the beauty of dwarf cichlids is in a 30l you can do quite a bit whereas with larger cichlids you need quite a bit more space. The tank you're referring to was probably housing Africans as Bribo mentioned.

Yeah definitely african cichlids. Sorry I'm new to this specific species so I'm still learning about them

Melanochromis Cyaneorhabdos

That was the little guy I was talking about. I heard the males aren't to be put together. Does this fish need to be in a cichilid only tank or can it co-mingle among over community fish?

African cichlids need to be with their own.
No mixing of the three lakes or river fish should be allowed.
They all have different requirements.
You need to look into how to set up a Malawi cichlid tank for that guy...
These are one fish that often does best or even requires Overstocking and actually is the fish that brought fishless cycles into fashion.
Many who research and still want AC fishless cycle and then stock 100% when the time comes...
Mean little[not so little] fish IMO!
Your tank is BARE minimum size IMO...
People really like them due to being so colorful...They are...I had an electric yellow labidochromis once....I snook him in my Tanganyikan tank...

Look up lamprologus..julichromis...for the bottom and for mid swimmers..hapochromis or aulonocara...its a start...tell us which ones you like...we can help you with which ones play well together..

Hey guys thanks for the help but I decided against a cichlid tank just because I love heavy planted tanks. My next tank is going to be cichlid tank.

Dwarf South American cichlids are a great choice for planted tanks...
Who doesn't love rams and apistos?
We are back at the beginning.....

Iam into african cichlid...but i have to admit coralbandit..ur right on that one..

*your, bandit is always right;)

I just didn't want rams. I've had them before and I do enjoy them. I just wanted something I've never had before and I love cichlids.

Look up lamprologus..julichromis...for the bottom and for mid swimmers..hapochromis or aulonocara...its a start...tell us which ones you like...we can help you with which ones play well together..

This will have issues in an appropriately sized tank, let alone a 46 bowfront

Try it with Nanacara anomala.
It is a very interesting fish. The breeding care behavior of the female is nowhere more clear.
Take only 1 adult couple and some livebearers as a disorder.
The water conditions are normal.
The plants are not damaged.
They will make very interesting observations.
There should be a small stone cave, or half a coconut. For the eggs .
Everyone should have experienced this.

https://www.google.de/search?q=nann...2&ved=0ahUKEwj83eK5s-LQAhWHJsAKHSDoCkkQiR4Ifg

Back
Top Bottom