Dwarf frog dead…now what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kimbo A

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have always had a small freshwater tank 3 - 5 gallons with no more than 3 small fish. I just switched to a 29 gallon new tank and thought I could set it up and put fish in it along with my one remaining unhealthy fish. I thought it would be a new happy place for my old fish. I added 5 fish and a frog after a week and now everything has died ��. Should I start over? It’s been 3 weeks now (the frog must have died a few days ago . He hides a lot so I thought I just didn’t see him.

That is really sad news. Switching to a bigger new tank is supposed to be a happy time.

It is very likely with the time frame, that the new tank was experiencing new tank syndrome.

The nitrification cycle is when the BB / beneficial bacteria grow a colony of BB which can maintain the tank of fish/ frogs/ inhabitants by changing excess food and waste product, ammonia to less dangerous parts like ammonium, to nitrite to nitrate and to a safe quality for the fish.

In your old tank it eventually builds, and bb can be on substrate rock / sand to some degree, but especially on the filter media and pad. Check this article and see how the process works.

There is fish-in cycle (you start with some fish in the tank, do lots of tests and change lots of water), and fishless cycle. Articles linked about that are noted in this article.

I am so sorry to hear of the deaths of the new tank frogs and fish. The article should explain so much as is the best starting point to grow your aquarium hobby well.

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium/

Thank you very much! I really appreciate the help and understanding.

Back
Top Bottom