Dwarf Gourami Agression is Escalating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laser

Aquarium Advice Addict
The fighting between my 3 male dwarf gouramis seems to be getting more violent. They have never bothered any of the other fish in the tank, none of them have any ripped fins, and all 3 of them are very healthy. My question is will their violent behavior eventually lead to their deaths or is it ok for them to fight like this?

Their violence towards each other will eventually lead to extreme stress causing illness at best or death at worst. I would separate them and if possible return 2 of them to the lfs. As they get older and more territorial it will only get worse.

What is the size of the tank? If there isn't enough space for seperate territories, male dwarf gouramis will constantly go after each other. Having 2 or more females per male helps a great deal with spreading out aggression.

Yup, I fear it will only get worse. As RoK has asked, the size of the tank to the ratio of males is important as well. Bigger tank means you can have more decorations and plants to create separate territories.

It's a 20 gallon tank. When I first put them in there I watched them closely because I was told they might be agressive. I've decided to try to take them back to the LFS or I may have to divide them up between my tanks.

Back
Top Bottom