Dwarf gourami and angel fish?..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Afn_Black

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am looking to get a pair of angels, will the be okay with my one dwarf gourami?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Angels can get aggressive as they mature. I have one angel and one Honey Gourami in my 55, along with lots of other fish, and they have not even so much as looked at each other. A pair of angels though, might be a totally different story. Angels can be aggressive not only to each other, but other fish as well. Even more so if you have a pair. Oh, and I'd recommend Honey gouramis over dwarf gouramis. They are more peaceful.

Okay thanks for the info! I think trail and error between the angels to, to see which is most comfortable. And i have a red dwarf homey gourami

Well there are Red Flame DG also. They are not Honey Gouramis. So learn your species.

There are Honey Gouramis in breeding color have more red also.

Confusing right ? ?

DG are Trichogaster lalius

Honey Gourami are Trichogaster chuna

Honey Gouramis stay smaller and are more peaceful typically.

So both DG and Honeys have a Red form. And T chuna are often listed as Honey Dwarf Gourami just to be extra confusing.

Smoke Signals Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I stand corrected! Thank you Coursair! That was essentially what I was trying to say.I was not aware that DG also has a red form though. What I was referring to actually was that the OP referred to his fish as being a "Dwarf Honey Gourami." There are DGs and there are Honeys. Very different, in my book. I like the look of the Honeys much more, not to mention the peaceful, friendly personality. I also think they are more attractive. Their faces have a more refined, "cute" look, at least to me.

I prefer to call them either Honeys or DG, since they are two different things. It's confusing to the customer to see a fish labeled Honey Dwarf Gourami instead of just Honey Gourami.
T. chuna is the fish I am referring to as being more peaceful, more attractive and personable. Below are links to a pic of a Honey and a DG. See the difference?

https://www.google.com/search?biw=9...other-honey-gourami-color-question%2F;815;611

https://www.google.com/search?biw=9...om%2Fspecies%2Ftrichogaster-lalius%2F;450;300

Mine looks like the homey gourami but its red

Good! Then you probably have a flame Honey. That was one of the best fish I ever had, until I lost him. I'd love to get another flame some day. What I have now is the Golden variety.

I am looking to get a pair of angels, will the be okay with my one dwarf gourami?

You should be ok...i never put my dwarf in with my Angels....but I had about 6 blue gauramis in with my angels and the gauramis were actually to much for the Angels..they constantly harassed them so I ended up re homing the gauramis. ...I do have one dwarf gaurami in with some neons and cory cats and he is sort of peaceful....little nippy at times! I wouldn't worry about the Angels bothering the dwarf.... Hope this helps...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You should be ok...i never put my dwarf in with my Angels....but I had about 6 blue gauramis in with my angels and the gauramis were actually to much for the Angels..they constantly harassed them so I ended up re homing the gauramis. ...I do have one dwarf gaurami in with some neons and cory cats and he is sort of peaceful....little nippy at times! I wouldn't worry about the Angels bothering the dwarf.... Hope this helps...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thats what i thought, mine's pretty peaceful anyway only one way to fins out if theyll be okay i suppose!

Got two angels today, everything seems good so far, i have a pretty friendly gourami i think

Just keep an eye out for nipped fins. Angels and gouramis can be hit or miss, depending on the individual personalities and tank size and available territory and cover. Breeding angels can be terrors, so be cautious in the future. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice!

I have a red flame and angel and they are fine

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I got the angels from small so fingers crossed! Thanks guys

I got a fire belly and 2 Angels. Both practically babies. The gourami wants to hide. They are currently the only fish in the tank right now. 75g tank. Is mine not going to work? Maybe he just needs to warm up to them more?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

As was said, you probably won't see issues when they are babies. You have space, so the combo should be fine but the final outcome with depend on the individual personalities.

Back
Top Bottom