Dwarf Gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishingMouse

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm really set on having a dwarf gourami when my tank is done cycling.....but I keep bouncing around the idea for his tankmates. I have a ten gal, and am looking at a school of 4-5 small fish. I like the look of black neon tetras, but I really want Pygmy cories.....is this tank too small for a school?

Any alternate suggestions welcome! However, I do NOT want danios or anything else that will nip at my gouramis whiskers! Thanks!

I have dwarf gourami and it gets along well with our neon tetras. Alternatively you can get some corys. We much prefer them as they're more fun to watch vs. the tetras. The false julii cory are small and very active. You can fit 6 of them (or 6 pygmy cory) into your tank with the DG per the stocking calculator on aquadvisor.

6 Pygmy cory + 1 Dwarf gourami = 74% stocked for a 10g. Maybe somebody can also recommend 1 or 2 small fish as well. You can also increase the # of pygmy cory as well. What filter do you have on your tank?

Hope that helps.

You do do 5 black neons with your dwarf gourami and only do 3 corys' (and yes three will do fine in a small tank) and have all the fish you like.

You do do 5 black neons with your dwarf gourami and only do 3 corys' (and yes three will do fine in a small tank) and have all the fish you like.

Really? I hear a lot about cories, even the small dwarf ones needing more space cuz they can be so active......I would love to be able to do all three tho....would I be able to add a couple ghost shrimp to help with cleanup crew?

Also, I think my airstones might be doing too much flow around the tank for a gourami....is there any way to slow them down a bit without removing them? I hid the tubing under the substrate so that would be a pain.....would a paperclip pinching the tube a bit work, or would that rust n be a problem?

Also, I think my airstones might be doing too much flow around the tank for a gourami....is there any way to slow them down a bit without removing them? I hid the tubing under the substrate so that would be a pain.....would a paperclip pinching the tube a bit work, or would that rust n be a problem?

It would rust but good idea :/
All 3 are fine....

3 dwarf or pygmy cory's would be fine, I've done them in a 10g before. I wouldn't add any ghost shrimp as they can get quite large and once that size can actually go after smaller fish in a small tank.

I have a 15 gallon column tank, it has only been running about 4 weeks, it just now really started establishing itself. I currently have 4 ghost shrimp in the tank - along with 2 blue platties and 3 guppies(I just added the guppies last night). The shrimp were pretty active, the first week I had them, but now they have discovered how wonderful my decorative tree stump is, and they hang out in there all day long, and don't do that great of a job on cleanup. I too want to add 1 to 2 dwarf gourami along with 3 oto cats

Back
Top Bottom