dwarf puffers or female bettas??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KhloeM

Aquarium Advice Activist
hey guys!!! so, i will have an empty 10 gallon tank pretty soon, and i am really really stuck between two options: a betta sorority (all female bettas) or a pair of dwarf puffers. i was originally leaning towards a betta sorority because bettas are my all-time favorite fish, and i've always wanted to have females. plus, soo many people i know have super successful sororities, and have given me excellent advice as to how to set it up! on the other hand, i've always thought dwarf puffers were just the cutest little things ;) a pair of them i heard would go very nice in a heavily planted 10 gallon, and i feel as if they would be fun to keep as well.
for some reason, i feel as if not many people on here have kept a betta sorority, but if you have, please share!
the same goes for the dwarf puffers. i'd really appreciate anything that could help me decide between the two! thank you! :)
EDIT: another thing to consider would be the fact that since i keep bettas, i know much more about them than dwarf puffers. not sure if that affects anybody's advice at all, but i figured i'd clarify that.

Draws puffers are awesome little guys but like all puffers are not a beginner fish. It's good to quarantine them to ensure health. They eat many live foods. Have a little tank infested with pond snails would be great to feed him with. Dwarf puffers I believe are the only puffer species you don't need to cut back their teeth if they are kept wore down via crustaceans. It is best to keep them as a species only. They can also get bored so playing around with the scape of the tank will definitely keep them interested.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Draws puffers are awesome little guys but like all puffers are not a beginner fish. It's good to quarantine them to ensure health. They eat many live foods. Have a little tank infested with pond snails would be great to feed him with. Dwarf puffers I believe are the only puffer species you don't need to cut back their teeth if they are kept wore down via crustaceans. It is best to keep them as a species only. They can also get bored so playing around with the scape of the tank will definitely keep them interested.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

thanks for the reply! yeah, that's the only thing i'm a bit worried about is i don't want to somehow mess everything up since i don't have experience with these fish. ugh, i wish there was some way for someone to just pick for me! ;) the reasons i'm leaning towards the female bettas are that i have a lot of experience with betta fish (males at least) and with the dwarf puffers i could only have about two in my size tank. with the bettas, i can have at least five, if not six, as long as i keep up with weekly water changes. but the reasons i'd want to maybe try the puffers are that the sorority could turn out to be a disaster and they all fight each other, and they seem like they have a ton of personality. but then again, so do bettas! SO FRUSTRATING, lol!

My dwarf puffers were so much fun to keep. I would highly recommend them.

I would go with puffers and a dwarf crayfish. I have mine in a 2.5 gallon mini bow with the stock filter, and they've been going strong for a half year now! They are so awesome and are loaded with personality! Snails are what you can feed them primarily, but they are really high in fat, so I switched from pond snails to black worms a little bit ago, and whatever the puffer doesn't eat then the cry picks up from the bottom. In a heavily planted 10, you could probably do 3 without issues. You'll love them once you get them, and if they're from a reusable source, they'll live for a while too. They are wild caught, which means they most likely come with parasites, and these can stay dormant in the fish for a few years before starting to show up, which is unfortunately how my other puffer died. Just keep up with weekly water changes and you'll be fine!

Nils

Back
Top Bottom