dwarf seahorses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adolltoo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am about to embark on a species only hippo nano tank. I'm getting that aqueon evolve 8 gal (but apparently is actually a 6 gal), ordering three dwarf captive bred dwarves from a family business in Florida. already have a healthy 90 gal, 1 yr old, reef tank. going to use water from that for the nano. the question....... what plants should I get for them?

adolltoo said:
I am about to embark on a species only hippo nano tank. I'm getting that aqueon evolve 8 gal (but apparently is actually a 6 gal), ordering three dwarf captive bred dwarves from a family business in Florida. already have a healthy 90 gal, 1 yr old, reef tank. going to use water from that for the nano. the question....... what plants should I get for them?

Macro algae for plants
Water does NOT help cycle tanks
You cant use live rock or sand from the 90 because it must be a true species tank

emerald76 said:
Macro algae for plants
Water does NOT help cycle tanks
You cant use live rock or sand from the 90 because it must be a true species tank

I agree with the macro algae statement but not being able to use some rock or sand from his established tank because it has to be a true species tank is completely wrong . I don't know where you came up with that one.

To answer your question, they like sea grasses. There's some available on eBay right now.

Hondatek said:
I agree with the macro algae statement but not being able to use some rock or sand from his established tank because it has to be a true species tank is completely wrong . I don't know where you came up with that one.

The hitchhikers, such as shrimp, crabs, anemones, and corals can harm the Seahorses and the anemone and corals may take thier food

With diligent research I am sure that you will have a very rewarding experience. I have stayed away from the dwarfs due to requirement for live food.

I've seen sea horses and pipe fish live in a reef tank. Yes they have a lot of special requirements and are slow eaters so you have to watch to make sure they get food, I would't panic about a hitch hiker that may come in on some live rock.

I think that you will find very few tankmates for dwarf seahorses. The reduced flow requirements will limit the number of corals to low, low flow. Macro algae is great for hitching posts and will help you culture some of the live food that you need.

thank you all for your responses.... I appreciate them.

I did know about the hitchhiker issue and chose to go with 'dead' sand, took my live rock out too (i think an Aiptasia would be pretty bad for a dwarf if one would pop up) but will continue cycling with the water (3 of the 6 gal.) from my 90. and the low flow in this "evolve" is very nice and I think it'll be perfect.

as far as the live feeding goes... I know... I'm ordering a new refugium/sump for my 90 (right now it's just sump;intake n skimmer) so that I have a bit of a holding tank for my shrimp that I'll need to hatch.

the whole live feeding/doing my own hatchery is keeping me a lil' bit on the fence yet. I've been doing lots of research and I'm not 100% positive... close but not quite. I'm continuing to cycle and move forward as if I am but until it's time to order the lil guys... I need to decide if I'm all the way in on this.

Just feed it a few times a week.
Thank you!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom