Dying cories

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ask the LFS if you can test their water. If the water conditions are extremely poor you have found your answer. Trying to acclimate such a sensitive fish can be done easily, but if the fish comes from horrid water conditions that it has grown accustom too, the success rate goes way down. Think of it like this. When we as humans go from low altitudes to high altitudes we find it harder to breath as our bodies our not accustom to the higher altitude. However, we adjust pretty quickly (usually). Unfortunately, water quality for fish is a much harsher change to adjust to, and many can't take the change.

Hi Zaedon,

I did test the lfs water in the bag while I was floating it. The nitrates were a little higher than mine at 15 but otherwise it was the same as mine.

I don't know what the problem is, if I didn't like cories so much I would just give up. The bronze one is out swimming again, looking reasonably happy but the remaining sterbai is sat on the plant (of death) breathing heavily, I don't think he's going to make it :(

What size of tank do you use for quarentine? I'm wondering if I could use my 7g although if I were going to get any biggish fish, this wouldn't work... what size do you use? What would you recommend?
I guess I could get a larger 2nd hand tank, then use the 7g for a betta or DP?

Also, Would I need to keep the new tank cycled? do you keep a few hardcore fish in there to keep it going? Or would I have to cycle it each time I bought a new fish? Is there a stickie that talks about this? I'll go and have a look...

I have two that i use depending on the fish, a 5g and a 10g. I don't keep them cycled personally but i think some others on here might. Because i do so many water changes for those tanks i've never had a problem. When i worked at the aquarium we didn't keep any of the qt tanks cycled either. I basically only keep smaller schooling fish so the smaller tanks has proved to be quite sufficient.

Back
Top Bottom