Dying oto :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smudger

Aquarium Advice Regular
Abit about the tank first, I fishless cycled for 2 months.
I've had fish in for 3 months since then.
Ph is 6.6-6.8, am-.25, no2-0, and no3- 10-20.
Temp-25.5℃

Oto 'sharky' was one of the last to go in a month n a half ago.
He always fed but never ate any of the algae wafers or cat pellets I put in at least not while the light was on and only started eating corguette/zuccini a couple of weeks ago. Last weekend I noticed he had gone from his usual little plump self to having a caved stomach. There is still a little algae on the plants although he has done a superb job of clearing most of it.
Yes I know otos are schooling fish but I only had the one, is this the reason for his untimely demise? Or could i have done something wrong?
At the moment he is in a quarantine tank, looking really anorexic, and he isn't moving apart from slightly fast breathing.

Advice?....

Many thanks

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have an eheim pickup 2010 filter. I do a 20-30%pwc weekly cleaning sand at same time. And clean the filter media out in old tank water fortnightly.
Inhabitants in the tank are:1x golden ram, 2x Betta splenden (female), 6x glowlight tetra, 1x false simenesis, 1x zebra nerite snail.
2 weeks ago I added some java moss.

And the tank is 64ltr measuring 24"l x 12"w x 15"d

I have not had much luck with oto cats, they seem very fragile. I switched to Siamese algae eaters, they are hardy and get the job done. Plus they are bottom to mid range, usually more mid range so they aren't on the bottom much.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

But Siamese algae eaters grow to 5/6 inch don't they? I have a false Siamese and he's so comical plus does a really good job cleaning, but I'd love to master the oto. Think I'm going to lay off until I have space and money for my diy project tank and I can accommodate 10 then

I have 3 and they stopped growing at 2 1/2-3 inches.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom