easy 10gal stand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

strokinbyeu

Aquarium Advice Freak
i needed a place to put a co2 tank and timers for my 10gal planted tank so i decided to build a stand like the one i built for my girlfreinds 20gal long. i cheat and buy the ready to finish cupboard from lowes and shelf board.

i can only have a stand 24in wide so i found a cupboard that was 24in wide and 30in tall. there only 12in deep i think.

im not good at telling how i did somthing but belive me if i can make a stand like this it cant be very hard (i dont have much wood skill lol)

Attachments

• 10gal stand1.jpg
    10gal stand1.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 96
  • 10gal stand2.jpg
    10gal stand2.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 82
  • 10gal stand3.jpg
    10gal stand3.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 86
  • 10gal stand4.jpg
    10gal stand4.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 115
i dont know how to do captions but the top left pic in the post above is what i started with. in the bottom right pic i put pine gusets in the corners top and bottom screwed in from insid of the cupboard to give me a place to screw the top and bottom board on.

the top right is the cupboard and the shelf board. the bottom left is what the it looks like with the top and bottom screwed on.

the pics below are of the back without the 2x4 brace(leftpic) and with(right pic)

the front of the cupboard is solid oak so that wont have a prob suporting the weight of a 10gal but the back is only partical board, and i was afraid if for some reason the wood got wet it wouldnt suport the top at all. so i added the vertical 2x4 brace to help in that event.

Attachments

• 10gal stand5.jpg
    10gal stand5.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 81
  • 10gal stand6.jpg
    10gal stand6.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 92
i did it with a 30in wide cupboard to fit a 20gal long it worked out perfectly that the cupboard and the tank were the same mesuments. but i put a large top and base on it to make room for my girlfeinds cat to sit and watch the fishies(she now sets on the glass top and knocks the filter top off and plays in the filter)

Attachments

• tank stand14.jpg
    tank stand14.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 278
  • tank stand13.jpg
    tank stand13.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 227
i forgot to add that i still have to glue the oak veneeron each side to hide the ugly partical board and the screw holes. i plan on painting the stand to mach my gf's stand so someday we can have matching stands in the same room

i would think it would. the only thing that i make sure of is that the cupboard is atleast as big as the tank. i wouldnt want to trust the 3/4 pine shelf board to not bow if the cupboard wasnt as wide as the tank. could tank 2 24in cupboards and put them side by side of 2 18in cupboards spaced 12in apart and put shelfs in between

i would prob wave off of puting a 90gal on a stand like this thats at least 800lbs if not 900lbs. maby if you build a skeleton inside for suport. even with a 55gal i would prob build a frame inside so the partical board dosnt hold any verical load. just the bottom would have weight on it but it would be a compreshion force on the thickness.

its not hard to build im telling you. the only tools i have used is a cordless drill, cordless circlular saw, and a band saw(cut my thumb pritty good in the prosses[not a proud moment]) a tape mesure and a square. a hand saw would work also just not as fast. oh and i used my uncles router to bevel the top edges of the top and base.

thats a rule i should stick to and im 27 lol but yet i play with brigeport mill, metal leaths, and cuting tourches. oh and i get to play with a bobcat skidloader everyday during the summer lol

P.S. i think your right we all NEED MORE COW BELL

Lol I LOVE will ferrel. And you may be a very lucky dude but I get to uhhh swim? Ya your super lucky...

enjoy your summers now belive me you dont have much longer b4 summers run ito winters. i get to go be a kid again about 1 weekend a summer when me and a few frinds go to a 4x4 jamborie and cuise around in our big boy toy trucks lol

thanks for posting this, what a great idea. i need a stand for my 10g tank and the one you already did looks gorgeous! how much did you pay for the cupboard if you don't mind me asking??

strokinbyeu said:
enjoy your summers now belive me you dont have much longer b4 summers run ito winters. i get to go be a kid again about 1 weekend a summer when me and a few frinds go to a 4x4 jamborie and cuise around in our big boy toy trucks lol

Ya your right butwhen I'm older that would mean I own a aprtment/ house. Which means bigger tank :D

thanks for posting this, what a great idea. i need a stand for my 10g tank and the one you already did looks gorgeous! how much did you pay for the cupboard if you don't mind me asking??

im not sure on the cost of the just the cupboard i think it was $60-$70. between the cupboard, shelf board, 6ft long 3x.75in board, 6 plug surge protector, and 2 cheap timers my grand total is $110 and change (i dont have the recite at the moment ill list it all out 2nite.

i already have the paint i need, all i need to buy yet is the handle that matches the curvy ones on the other stand($4-$5) and maby a little light to mount inside the stand to make it easyer to se when ajusting the co2

i dont know what a stand cost to buy from a lfs but its more fun building it just how you like it than buying what ever you can find

Back
Top Bottom