EBO Jager heaters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patwa

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey,

I bought a 200w EBO Jager heater for my 65 gal tank recently...

Is it safe for this heater to be placed under the water line?? i bought it with the belief that it coudl be placed under the water line because my LFS (Big Al's) had their same EBO heaters under the water in some of their tanks.

the manual says you should NOT place it below the water line....what's story here?? is Big Al's just being dumb or what??

tx.

Zach.

OK, I'm not going to tell you it's OK to immerse this heater. I THINK all of the Ebo's can go below the water line, but I would contact Big Als to be sure. Better yet, contact Ebo Jager. These have a rep as being very good, dependable heaters.

I noticed that also when I bought mine. I set it up to stay above water but then changed it after seen 100's in LFS under water and many in pictures here under. I am a sheep I guess :)

I have always submerged mine... what exactly does the manual say??

That's weird

What model is that?

:?

No problems and I couldn't find the box.
I thought they were supposed to be submerged since they have the nice feature of shutting off if the water level gets too low.

*edit*
I searched the web and found another board that discussed this issue. Unfortunately this mac computer will not let me cut and paste the info or the link. I will try to get on a PC and post again later :evil:

Okay, I am not getting any done in lab today :roll:

From the the tropical tank discussion forum, where this same topic was discussed on March 20, 2002, posted by moderator, Stang97:
I called and talked with Ebo Jager. They said that depending on where the unit is sold, the government requires them to be UL approved if they want to be able to sell it as a "submergable" unit. They said there is no difference between the models with and without this labeling and it is only to comply with the laws in those areas. They said it was ok to go ahead and completely submerse the unit in the water.

BigAl's is in Canada and they are one of the countries that require the UL rating so that is why since we both bought one from them they came with this wording imprinted.

One year later (April 2, 2003), Stang97 wrote the following:
Yup, if you go and buy an Ebo-Jager in the states at one of your local pet shops it will more than likely not have that warning on it. It's only due to BigAl's being located in Canada and the local government requiring the warning to be labeled on the units.

Trust me Ebo was just as confused about it as I was when I talked with them. They agreed that it didn't make any sense but was the only way that they could be allowed to export to Canada.

I hate to take from other boards, but I could not find a number specifically for Ebo Jager and making international calls from the lab is frowned upon!

Back
Top Bottom