Eco-Complete - best cleaning procedures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pwrflpills

Aquarium Advice Activist
A couple months ago I switched my substrate to eco-complete from medium sized gravel. Now with eco-complete my 3 black mollies make the floor of my lightly planted tank look more like a septic tank after just a few days - compared to barely noticing anything with the gravel after 4 weeks. I'm getting used to trying to do weekly vacuuming and PWCs, but I wonder if I'm making too much of it or if I should do something else, like trade in the mollies, which I've been considering for a while now.

For those of you that have successful tanks with eco-complete, what are your usual cleaning/vacuuming routines? Any experience with it and mollies?

Also, the substrate seems to be very sandy. More so than I was anticipating when I purchased it. Is this normal? It seems to contribute to my problem of the mollie waste accumulating on the surface of the substrate.

Attachments

• img_0695_722.jpg
    img_0695_722.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 145
I just run the vac about 1/2" from the substrate and it sucks up almost all the poo. If it's stubborn, just swish the vacuum a bit to suck it up

Totally agree with jrp.

A weekly vac with PWC should be standard practice anyway.

Mine stays pretty sandy on the surface in one of my tanks, but I like it that way. I think the sand is supposed to eventually work its way to the bottom.

Tank looks really good!

You could try adding some white sand (usually can be purchased in bulk at the LFS) to achieve a speckled appearance on the gravel that would help to disguise the poo. That's the what I do in my guppy tank and it works great. Looks nice, too. Adding some carpeting-type plants like Glosso or micro-swords or something would help, too.

jrp1588 said:
Glosso only works in very high light doesn't it?

Good point. Guess a low-light carpet plant would be better. I've heard "moss balls" spread - are they low light like Java Moss? Anyway, my point was to find a low-growing plant that will help cover some of the gravel and disguise the issue, while also utilizing the nutrients.

Back
Top Bottom