Eco Complete or Flourite? Suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Haileyjade

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been researching the two, but I'd like to hear people's experience with them? Or if you have another suggestion I'd love to hear it!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have both in my 75 gallon tank. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421427641.652456.jpg
That pic is after washing the substrate for 2 hours and letting a canister filter run for 24 hours. As you can see it's still kinda cloudy. The bags they come in have TONS of dust in them. Make sure you wash the substrate very well before adding it to your tank. You will understand when you try to clean it and it looks like you dumped 3 bottles of brown food coloring in there.

I can't attest for how effective they are as the tank I used them in is only about a week old. I can come back and give updates though. Just don't forget to clean clean clean it before you put it in your tank!

I use the Eco complete and have terrific plant growth. The Cory's don't suffer from wear to their barbels. The Malayan Trumpet Snails burrow easily. It doesn't seem to clog up like some substrates.
I've not used fluorite.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421433662.879757.jpg

I have both in my 75 gallon tank. View attachment 261249
That pic is after washing the substrate for 2 hours and letting a canister filter run for 24 hours. As you can see it's still kinda cloudy. The bags they come in have TONS of dust in them. Make sure you wash the substrate very well before adding it to your tank. You will understand when you try to clean it and it looks like you dumped 3 bottles of brown food coloring in there.

I can't attest for how effective they are as the tank I used them in is only about a week old. I can come back and give updates though. Just don't forget to clean clean clean it before you put it in your tank!

Thanks for the heads up! I'll be sure to rinse whichever one I end up using very well. I like the look of it in your tank!

I use the Eco complete and have terrific plant growth. The Cory's don't suffer from wear to their barbels. The Malayan Trumpet Snails burrow easily. It doesn't seem to clog up like some substrates.
I've not used fluorite.
View attachment 261259

Whoa...beautiful tank! Thank you for the info. I do have trumpets and Corys so that was a concern of mine.

Eco complete, simply because you don't have to rinse it. Open bag, dump in tank, begin planting!

No rinse? I'd read varying reviews but if its true, then I'm sold!

I've always washed my substrate. But that's funny knowing I really didn't need to wash it for 2 hours with the others. Well I learned something today. Thanks guys.

If you line your tank with Eco Complete and then add the water put a plate or similar on the substrate so the water doesn't stir it up too much. Planting will stir it up quite a bit but it will settle out. The MTS will gradually help it settle further. My tank took a good few days to clear reasonably but a couple of weeks to become crystal clear. My filter needed a bit of a rinse in a bucket of tank water as it clogged a bit in the early days. A bit of a problem if you are combining it with cycling, but the filter cleaning was only to remove the 'dust' that had been trapped.
Once the tank has settled you will wonder why anyone uses sand or gravel.

If you line your tank with Eco Complete and then add the water put a plate or similar on the substrate so the water doesn't stir it up too much. Planting will stir it up quite a bit but it will settle out. The MTS will gradually help it settle further. My tank took a good few days to clear reasonably but a couple of weeks to become crystal clear. My filter needed a bit of a rinse in a bucket of tank water as it clogged a bit in the early days. A bit of a problem if you are combining it with cycling, but the filter cleaning was only to remove the 'dust' that had been trapped.
Once the tank has settled you will wonder why anyone uses sand or gravel.

I'll be using the filter off of one of my cycled tanks, so there shouldn't be any worry there. I'll throw in some filter floss for good measure to clear up any murkiness. I think Eco complete is the route I'm going to go, and I'm pretty excited to get started! Thanks for the input everyone!

Back
Top Bottom