EcoComplete

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

itafx

Aquarium Advice Freak
Has anyone ever noticed how much EcoComplete looks and feels like GAC? Has anyone ever tried recycling their GAC as a substrate?

I didn't really think of that, but I suppose the Eco looks a bit like the GAC. The Eco doesn't perform like GAC, though. Eco Complete comes saturated with the nutrients that your plants need, like iron, potassium, magnesium, and others. I found that my KH value increased slightly when I first set up my tank with Eco. I appreciated the buffering effect since my tap KH was rather low, and I was injecting CO2.

GAC won't provide nutrients to the plants or buffer the water column like Eco. Once carbon is used, I would throw it away rather than recycle it in the aquarium. It could leach out the impurities that you used it to remove.

I have read that sometimes Eco Complete, after a year or more, may leach nutrients back into the water column, but I don't have any way to prove that. My tanks have all been set up with Eco Complete for over a year now and they are all doing great.

Wouldn't any filter media be full of nutrients that plants could use. Assuming you can keep it in the filter media, it would be a great substrate, but I don't believe you can keep it out of the water column, making a mess and causing other problems.

Back
Top Bottom