eel with african cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Convict2161 said:
According to the research I've done. A peacock eel is a spiney eel.

It is a type of spiny eel yes, but there are many differant types. Fire eel, tire track eel, zig zag eels etc.

And what tupe of gravel do you have? Pecock eels like to dig and can pull out plants. Mine would dig for the first few weeks because he was uncomfortable and stressed, but not anymore.

Convict2161 said:
According to the research I've done. A peacock eel is a spiney eel.

Well to my knowledge there are
peacock eels max 10"
Striped peacock eels (a bit bigger, and bigger mouths)
Peacock Spiney eels max 14" (much different pattern, quite a bit larger too)

Peacock, zigzag, and fire eels aren't suited to the hard/alkaline water African cichlids require. There are Tanganykian spiny eels that are, though they're not as commonly available.

toddnbecka said:
Peacock, zigzag, and fire eels aren't suited to the hard/alkaline water African cichlids require. There are Tanganykian spiny eels that are, though they're not as commonly available.

Hmmmm.... So maybe not such a good idea then. I'm trying to do more research. The guy that has it is usually pretty good and gets the right fish. Never had a problem. I wonder if it's miss marked? It's in a "mixed" African tank now. Which I know means nothing. I guess I'll go see what it looks like in person.

I'm afraid to upset the balance in the tank. If I'm not 100% this is going to work then I'm gonna pull the trigger.

Need more input, advice and more research.

I don't know about keeping something thats going to be 2-3 times the size of any othr fish in your tank man. just not a good idea in a 75G imo.

NyteGTI said:
I don't know about keeping something thats going to be 2-3 times the size of any othr fish in your tank man. just not a good idea in a 75G imo.

I spoke with John. He said it would work because there mouths ate pointed and too small to eat anything. He said a peacock spiney eel or a fire eel would work but that was it. Maybe I'll just scratch the idea all together unless one day I get a bigger tank :)

It's just that I know there hard to find and the guy has one.

The petsmarts where I'm at always have peacock eels if you haven't checked there. Or your Like me and have boycotted them. Lol

Bully405Customz said:
The petsmarts where I'm at always have peacock eels if you haven't checked there. Or your Like me and have boycotted them. Lol

Petsmart here has 2 one is a inch and a half.

Convict2161 said:
I spoke with John. He said it would work because there mouths ate pointed and too small to eat anything. He said a peacock spiney eel or a fire eel would work but that was it. Maybe I'll just scratch the idea all together unless one day I get a bigger tank :)

It's just that I know there hard to find and the guy has one.

I dont know why it wouldnt work, you dont need a huge tank for one

Ya i think if he could get a 6 or 7" pecock eel would be better then adding a fire eel that will get 2 feet

Definitely. Plus it will be much easier to get a bigger peacock to eat. They are cute at that size though, it's hard not to buy them. Lol

Back
Top Bottom