Eel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yash

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can I keep any kind of eels in my large African cichlid tank? I'm new to this hobby so trying to learn.

Yash said:
Can I keep any kind of eels in my large African cichlid tank? I'm new to this hobby so trying to learn.

Large tank, African cichlids and eels is all very broad general statements. Please tells us about you tank, the fish you have and the eel that caught your eye.

90 gallon, african cichlid and Any eel really

I have 4 africans and they about 3 inches each

the specific eel makes a difference. Most are pisciverous though, and may treat your africans as lunch. At the very least the continued presence of a predator in a confined space may freak them out....

African is still way to broad of a term, need to know lake, species ect... Like Ivan said the eel does make a difference there are eels from lake Malawi and Tanganyika that stay smaller depending on what type of set up you're going for.

A 90 gallon tank stocked with suitable (for the tank size) Malawi or Tanganykian cichlids? The two best choices for a spiney eel for that tank would be a Tanganykian elipsifer of plagiostoma spiney eel. The plagiostoma is the smaller of the two, maxes out around 8", and will eat the eggs of any substrate-spawning cichlids in the tank. The elipsifer grows a bit larger, a 75-90 is the minimum suitable tank size for an adult, and they're fry eaters.
I had a pair of plagiostoma's in a 29 for a couple years until I lost them during a power outage. They spawned a number of times in season, but the male always ate the eggs soon afterward. They did very well on a diet of frozen bloodworms, occasionally frozen brine shrimp for variety.

Back
Top Bottom