Effects of carbon on trace elements

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It was bit of an eye-opener. Not sure if variation by different chelating agents - couldn’t find much but yeah, interesting!

No science or study behind it, but I've seen reports of fresh Purigen having a negative impact on a tank where the owner was playing with custom micro blends. His old (and likely "full" ) Purigen was replaced with new stuff, and his plants began showing negative signs, the only thing he changed was a new bag or Purigen, nothing else.

I have used it in most of my tanks, but I never really see a big difference in water clarity so I don't bother anymore.

No science or study behind it, but I've seen reports of fresh Purigen having a negative impact on a tank where the owner was playing with custom micro blends. His old (and likely "full" ) Purigen was replaced with new stuff, and his plants began showing negative signs, the only thing he changed was a new bag or Purigen, nothing else.

I have used it in most of my tanks, but I never really see a big difference in water clarity so I don't bother anymore.

That is interesting! Would be great to see a recent test done.

One experienced member here from years back (Rivercats) reported no difference with plants in tanks with / without carbon but tbh I think her tanks were the best large planted tanks I've ever seen regardless.

That is interesting! Would be great to see a recent test done.

One experienced member here from years back (Rivercats) reported no difference with plants in tanks with / without carbon but tbh I think her tanks were the best large planted tanks I've ever seen regardless.

Unless we are measuring every nutrient individually and tracking each rate, I really don't think there is any significant amount of micro or macro ferts carbon/Purigen will interfere with.

Many of my tanks were thriving with Purigen in them, when I removed it I saw no difference.

The case that I posted above, the owner was tracking each nutrient and adjusting ratios for individual micros, so a fresh bag of Purigen must have interfered with his ratios thus the plants displayed a negative response.

He no longer used Purigen.....

Stumbled across it and thought must post (even if a bit old) :)

By coincidence, I've started listening to Art Pennom's new podcast, "Tank on Fire", and episode two begins a multi-part discussion of using carbon in the planted aquarium. He's strongly in favor of it, and with his experience I'm certainly willing to give him a listen, but I haven't heard enough yet to judge. His initial episode, though, makes me wonder if the results of the Krib study were due to pore size on the carbon.

Here's a link to the show. The discussion begins in episode 2:

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/tank-on-fire

The study conducted by Albert Theil pertains to marine aquarium...
I am sure carbon acts the same way in fresh but the results [gallon to gallon] IMO would not be the same due water chemistry.
Albert Theil was /is still one of the highest regarded informational sources on water quality today even though his test and experiences were all back before the internet even existed. This test in particular is from 1989 or previous.
My marine aquarium background started in the 1980s with reading both "The Marine Aquarium in Theory and Practice" parts 1 & 2 by Albert Theil . I still use the knowledge I gained from them and both books are where I got my training in making sumps..
Albert Theil is the man [RIP]. I trust all info from him on water quality...(y)

Back
Top Bottom