egg crates at the bottom of a tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meagan.Marie

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I am currently starting up a new tank a 55 gallon turtle tank. I know this should be in the aquatic reptiles section... Mods please don't move it PLease! that forum doesnt get too much action.

Anyways I saw on youtube about raising the egg crate about half an inch wih pvc pipe and then stacking your river rocks on top of it. then you run your canister filter tubes through the bottom and it creates a suction causing the debris to go to the bottom. I was wondering if any freshwater tank people have tried this or would consider trying this. It may save some time!

Thanks for your help!

I would be interested in seeing the video if you know it can you link it. I think i understand what your saying i just want to make sure. Haha and i wanna see ;)

sounds like a cheap version of an undergravel filter, but having work with those light diffusors I can say that the plastic they are made from is fairly brittle and if I wanted that type of filtration I'd just go with a store bought UGF as they're pretty sturdy and already made to fit

here is the link. well its not really egg crate but its lighting grate same concept but sturdier

The most Ideal indoor setup of a Turtle Tank under $500 US Dollars - Update !!! - YouTube

Interesting, I guess it would probably work. The only problem that I can see is what if stuff gets trapped and not blown or sucked up. I would probably give it a try if I did a setup like his.

I would rather have sand over those rocks, my turtle loves sand. So it wouldn't work for me.

Back
Top Bottom