egg deposited today--now what

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaowl

Aquarium Advice Regular
one gold fish today deposited eggs in 90 gal tank!!! Now what??? Do I try & save some & if so how & how long before they are baby fishies.

Last summer I haphazardly hatched some from these adults outside. The eggs were attached to a water hyacyth(sorry about spelling) & the plant was put into a seperate container.

What do I do indoors now?

I've never done this, but this is what I've read:

Move the plant the eggs are attached to to a fry tank (keep warm - say 70's, & add a sponge filter). Watch the eggs over next few days - if they turn white, they are either not fertilized or dead. Otherwise you can see baby fish in 1-2 weeks. The book I have suggests culling the frys for deformaties (very common, esp in fancies) at 2 & 4 weeks after hatching.

The frys are supposed to be fed infusoria to start. Guppyman has the info in another thread on brine shrimp Here:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=14557&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=10

If you have lots of plants in your tank, you might consider leaving them in your 90 gal. The adults will eat some, but a few should make it with enough hiding place.

EDIT: Here's an article I book marked on breeding goldfish:
http://www.goldfishparadise.com/articles/breeding.php

I don't have a planted tank. But there are 'eggs' attached to the powerheads & on the large rocks plus the snail has some on his shell. I am considering putting the snail in a seperate tank & see what happens.

I'd say go ahead & do it! You might even try to scrape off some eggs from the rocks, etc & see what happens. The adults will be eating the eggs anyway, so if the move cause them to die, there really isn't any loss.

I would consider putting small batched of eggs on seperate things (breeding mops? plants - eg hornwort?) so if a clump dies, you can remove that easily.

Keep us posted on the result. It would be exciting to see babies.

Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom