Eggs or...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tnarladni

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all.
A little history before i ask my question.
I bought a starter tank last yr. 20 gallon. Came with filter, heater. Prep the tank for 2 weeks before taking water to fish store to test and bought a beta, 10 neon tetra, a loach, a pecco, and 5 cherry shrimp, 2 amano shrimp. All the cherry shrimp were eaten.
Filter did not work well and was not self priming. Everytime tank was cleaned, it would stop working and a lot of trouble getting it to work again.
Heater rubber housing would get hot and start to warp.
Gravel was hard to clean as all the stuff would settle on the bottom of tank between gravel.
Talked to fish guy. Rec'ed getting a bigger better filter (50-gal self-priming filter), switch substrate to sand, and a better heater. Did all that. What i did not realize was that i should have ran the old and new filter together to transfer the beneficial bateria. Needless to say, all fish died. Oh and while i was at store, bought 2 mollies and a striped loach and more shrimp. Yeah, all the new fish died too. Only the shrimp survived.
Tank was very toxic. High in amonia, nitrite, nitrates. Store said to take out water, and add more water. Added amonia killer, nitrates killer. Live bateria. Did this for 2 weeks, water finally healthy. But while the water was being treated, i noticed a snail. Where did he come from? And a tiny blue diamond shrimp too. And a few days later, another shrimp, another snail. In this highly toxic tank.
Once the water was healthy, i added all the shrimp back. Went to the store and got 30 neon tetras, 3 otto catfish and a piece of driftwood that has been in the store's tank for 5 yrs with a plant attached.
It has been 2 months since and all the fish are happy. I have more snails and more baby shrimp.
Here is my question. On the wood are tiny translucent things. I dont know what they are. Are they shrimp eggs? Snail eggs? See pic attached
Sorry for the long thread and TIA

Attachments

• 20220429_134110.jpg
    20220429_134110.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 28
Wow. That is a lot!

I am not sure I recognize the shape of those white things. If they are sesame seed shaped, then maybe from a Nerite snail? If you have a Nerite snail, they do not have eggs which are viable in FW, they need brackish water for the babies to develop. (Are they round and sort of flat, maybe freshwater Limpet?)

Neocaridina dwarf shrimp have eggs and they hatch. They are carried under the tail of the female.

Just as a side note, you can read through this article and get some solid advice for fish keeping, to make sure you are doing all you can for these new ones!
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium/

Back
Top Bottom