Eggs!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottwa

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I kind of have an idea of what to do but I'm not sure on what to feed?? My bolivians laid some eggs tonight!! How long does it typically take for them to hatch? Sorry if this is a repeat. To lazy to search.

Attachments

• image-2157820885.jpg
    image-2157820885.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 77
Hopefully someone smarter than myself has some better imputed but I would keep feeding all you fish the same things that you always have I might recommend making sure they don't get hungry at all as the eggs might become food. I wish I could be more help. I figured if I wrote something stupid here it would catch some smarter persons attention and help you out more. Congrats and good luck

scottwa said:
So I kind of have an idea of what to do but I'm not sure on what to feed?? My boliviands laid some eggs tonight!! How long does it typically take for them to hatch? Sorry if this is a repeat. To lazy to search.

I've not had the opportunity to have eggs but I read alot of threads and from what i've saw is you don't feed the fry until they are free swimming. Then you can feed brine shrimp or boiled eggs.

scottwa said:
So I kind of have an idea of what to do but I'm not sure on what to feed?? My boliviands laid some eggs tonight!! How long does it typically take for them to hatch? Sorry if this is a repeat. To lazy to search.

I've read depending on temperature they can hatch anywhere from 48hrs on.

Any food you give them will have to be very very small. I've never had fry but viable options I've read about are chrushed flakes/ pellets, egg yolks, or newly hatched brine shrimp.

If they are in a community tank they'll have a hard time keeping the babies alive. Even baby brine shrimp is too big for newborn fry, I've been most successful with a combination of green water, microworms, and vinegar eels.

Typically, the eggs will hatch out anywhere from 60-72 hours after spawning takes place. This is temperature dependent, with higher temps causing faster hatching. Keep the temp about 78-82 and you should see eggs about 2.5 days after they were laid. I don't expect any to survive in a community tank, but you can rehome them and artificially hatch them out. With the spawn being in the sand like that, I would get a large spoon or something else and dig the eggs and enough sand out to ensure that the eggs don't turn over. You can put the eggs into a 1g tank with a heater and hatch them out there. Use an airstone placed directly above the eggs to keep the water flowing so that the surface of the water gently rolls. Also add about 5 drops of hydrogen peroxide every 12 hours as an antifungal agent.

Back
Top Bottom