Snails that dont lay eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

faysalals1

Aquarium Advice Regular
I know some snails like Nerite cant hatch their eggs in freshwater, but they still lay their eggs. What kind of snail doesnt even lay eggs in freshwater? I heard red racer nerites dont lay eggs but im not sure..?

If you have snails, unless you can separate male from female, you will get eggs. Even single snails will lay eggs, but they might not get fertilsed.

Some species are sequential hermaphrodites and can switch sexes. Some species can self fertilise, so dont need the males for fertilisation.

Netite snails dont switch sex, so if you can somehow remove the females, the males won't lay eggs, but identifying M/ F is very difficult. Ive heard of people quarantining a nerite for several months and if there are no eggs, presume its male and put it in their display aquarium. Ive had nerites not lay for 4 or 5 months and then start laying though.

If you have snails, unless you can separate male from female, you will get eggs. Even single snails will lay eggs, but they might not get fertilsed.

Some species are sequential hermaphrodites and can switch sexes. Some species can self fertilise, so dont need the males for fertilisation.

Netite snails dont switch sex, so if you can somehow remove the females, the males won't lay eggs, but identifying M/ F is very difficult. Ive heard of people quarantining a nerite for several months and if there are no eggs, presume its male and put it in their display aquarium. Ive had nerites not lay for 4 or 5 months and then start laying though.

But I heard snails like the red racer and black military helmet dont even lay eggs. If this is true, I would love to buy 15 red racer snail and put them in my tank as they look so beautiful. But I dont want to keep removing eggs all over!

If they are allowed in your state or country, Apple Snails lay egg cases above the water line so you won't see them in the tank and they are in a cluster so easy to remove. There are some livebearing snails species ( Malaysian Trumpets, Trapdoor snails,etc.) but then you have to be prepared for dealing with a lot of snails as they can breed prolifically. :(

If you are going to get red racers, look for males only. (y)

If they are allowed in your state or country, Apple Snails lay egg cases above the water line so you won't see them in the tank and they are in a cluster so easy to remove. There are some livebearing snails species ( Malaysian Trumpets, Trapdoor snails,etc.) but then you have to be prepared for dealing with a lot of snails as they can breed prolifically. :(

If you are going to get red racers, look for males only. (y)

Oh its so hard to know the sex of snails, wish there was a store that sells based on their sex!

I love the red racers too. I have one alone in a one tank; it's been there for a year and so far, so good - no eggs. In another tank I have three. There have been eggs, which as you know are difficult-to-impossible to remove even with the technique of using the edge of a credit card. The good news about those eggs is that eventually they deteriorated and disappeared. It took months, so if you're up for seeing eggs for awhile, at least they won't last forever. It'll just seem like forever.

Back
Top Bottom