Eheim vs Fluval

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beverlygcox

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My husband an I are wanting to get a small tank for shrimp. We have narrowed it down to the Eheim Aquastyle 9 and the Fluval. After reading reviews online it seems people have complaints about both tanks. We were just wondering in everyone's opinion if one really stood out over the other.

Personally, I think there are draw backs to both, and the lighting is pretty insufficient on both units if you intend to grow plants. I would consider piecing together a system separately instead of buying a kit.

If you are looking for low iron glass or starphire glass in a rimless tank, there are a few options out there.

Aqua Forest Aquarium, ADA USA, Aqua Design Amano sells ADA and do!Aqua nano tanks. Green Leaf Aquariums also sells some very interesting high end nano rimless tanks.

There are lots of lighting options out there, but I would stick with a nice LED unit on a nano tank. It might be a bit more upfront but they are very energy efficient and last a long time, where as with a PC fixture, which would be the next best option on a nano, you have to replace the bulbs every 6-12 months, and they can be expensive.

For a filter, I would consider a small eheim canister, or if you are good with an HOB, the AZOO palm nano HOB works really nicely and is inexpensive.

Just my 2 cents, of course - both of the setups you mentioned do have some nice features, but overall, for just a bit more, you can decide exactly what components you want, and they will be much higher quality and better suited for exactly what you are looking for in your new tank.

Back
Top Bottom