Ehhh O!! Back again! 120gal upgrade update help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deano.bango

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This bad boy has a under gravel filter...I no "they suck" in a lot of eyes. Me? I have a set up were I don't an have never cleaned the bottom or under the gravel an it looks like fine fine gravel. I have little doods that do it fur me[emoji106][emoji3]I love it!
Anyways. I have 200+ fish, crustacean, frogs, loaches, plus alllll live plants. My question is, there is nice simi lrg rock/gravel. (Pics below) I would like to keep them. But I also need a little more an I'm afraid I won't find the same stuff. An in another light I wanna make my own substrate better for plants, safe/ok for snails an frogs an shrimp, crabs an will be great for the under gravel filter. What's the best substrate used for the under gravel filters that's good for plants?

It's a 3-4 power-head powered set up, not bubbles ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435765752.014073.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1435765752.014073.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've only used fine gravel with ugf's and plants. The gravel was larger than the slots on the filter.

Plants grew quite well. I'm sure there is better substrate stuff now but that would be the only thing I can think of, making sure it doesn't fall through the slots.

I did find the roots grow through the filter, making it messy if you ever need to remove the ugf.

Yeah that's the only thing I'm worried about is it clogging the bed, but I might be getting a sumo for free so I might use both. Thank you for that!

Have you ever experimented with layers of rock sizes. I was thinking thick rock on the bottom an then the fine stuff ya no?

I've never tried layering gravel size deliberately. That should work (at least at the start).

I have added different size gravel and laterite clay and found eventually they mixed, but I'm also putting in substrate ferts tabs and replanting stem plants. So I didn't put much effort into not disturbing the substrate.

Ok so I decided not to use the UGF full length, maybe just the middle or even to separate ones? Is that possible?
With power heads and or air stones of corse, I will be using a few high flow HOB's I got for a steel brand new instead. But I want to use them because I have them an there some what functional an I love me a lot of BB (I think, I've never used it messed with one) but they look good.

Only kinda applies to this but could put mesh between the layers.

I do this for my planted terrariums where I need a drainage layer. Not constantly underwater but separates fine dirt, sawdust, from the layer of clay pebbles quite well.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Not getting you on this one bud......?

Ok so I decided not to use the UGF full length, maybe just the middle or even to separate ones? Is that possible?
With power heads and or air stones of corse, I will be using a few high flow HOB's I got for a steel brand new instead. But I want to use them because I have them an there some what functional an I love me a lot of BB (I think, I've never used it messed with one) but they look good.

Should be possible to use just sections I think if the design allows for it (eg sealed off from gravel at end). I had one that was really two separate sections with water flow risers / outlets for each. The middle boundary between the two sections (middle of tank) wouldn't have allowed much water flow between sections at all. I don't know why it was done like that though (eg strength or better flow through ugf).

Ahhhhhhh I see, thanks for that, yeah I didn't think I could t but hey ya never no lol thanks man

Keen to know how you get on? I think I love canisters now too much but always like to have an air pump running somewhere doing something and this seems more useful then the old bubbles out of a pirate treasure chest (which sadly I can't find anymore :) )

Back
Top Bottom