EI with two bottles of mixed fert's...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HiJaC

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi,

I'm making a new project and am just sorting out the dosing. I bought a bunch of blue small bottles used in the perfume industry for the fert mixtures for my 5.5 G shrimp tank and have two left over.

I'd like to use them for my new project but with only two left i just wanted some reassurance that it is fine to make a bottle with the macro's dosing into RO water at the correct ratios (Nitrate, Phosphate and Potassium), traces in the other with a GH booster on the side?

Best Regards,

John

As long as you don't mix the Phosphates with Iron, you'll be perfectly fine. It will mean that you can't readily adjust the ratios, but once you find a balance for your dosing this shouldn't be much of an issue.

As long as you don't mix the Phosphates with Iron, you'll be perfectly fine. It will mean that you can't readily adjust the ratios, but once you find a balance for your dosing this shouldn't be much of an issue.

Without giving too much away the new project is 4 small tanks with liquid co2 no occupants. I'm figuring that the nutrient uptake is going to be slower then normal EI needs, like my shrimp tank, so as long as i get the ratios right nothing should bottom out. Peak levels are not going to be too much of an issue but i know they should hit double the total amount dosed in a week max.

If i do end up with an algae or growth symptom i can treat with more of a specific macro i can use a bit from the bottles i've setup for the 5.5 G shrimp tank, which i'm already dosing with a syringe.

Was funny actually going to the chemist and asking for a syringe, insisting it wasnt for some herion habit but actually for a planted aquarium.

Addiction in another form. :p

Best Regards,

John

nice read, but i might just stick to a limited EI version with the water changes, topping up with soda water during the week and liquid co2.

interesting stuff thou. i am a touch confused by their solutions however.

What nutrients do plants need to grow?

Plant nutrients breakdown into two categories: Macro (Larger quantities) and Micro (small quantities)

Macro: Nitrates, Phosphates Potassium, Calcium, Carbon, Sulfur, and Magnesium

Micro: Manganese, Iron, Zinc, Copper, Boron, Nickel and Molybdenum

Is there where you give us the formula?

Yes.

Macro Solution

In 1 liter bottle:
59 grams K2SO4 (Potassium Sulfate)
65 grams KNO3 (Potassium Nitrate)
6 grams KH2PO4 (Mono Potassium Phosphate)
41 grams MgSO4 (Magnesium Sulfate)
Fill with distilled water and shake well. Let sit overnight.

Micro Solution

In 1 liter bottle:
80 grams of CSM+B or equivalent trace element mix
Fill with distilled water and shake well. Let sit overnight.

they mention calcium as a needed component, which as i know comes in the some of your waters natural GH. They add magnesium to their macro soloution but there is no addition of calcium. Can i assume this is based on the use of tap water in the tank not RO water like i use in my shrimp tank?

Overall i've decided to use water from my main planted tank when i water change once a week for the project as the EI levels i maintain in there are going to be high enough (hopefully) to sustain the slower growth in the small tanks for a week without dosing...i hope.

I'll set them up and see how things are running before coming back to making the ferts seperately if needed.

Best regards,

John

Well I was mainly giving that link to you so you know what stuff can be mixed together. As Joy stated the Phosphates and CSM+B or Iron should not be mixed into the same bottle. I've read mixed feelings on dosing both at the same time, some say at least 4hrs apart(normally alternate days) and others think its fine in the large water volume of the tank(just not in smaller water volume of the bottle).Anyway you may have already known this.

Good luck w/it.

I know for lower tech tanks the EI dosing is cut in 1/2 and only 1 time per week dosing or every 2 weeks.

Magnesium and Calcium are two of the main parts that make up GH. I would guess from the mixture that they were using tap water which had sufficient Calcium levels but needed a bit extra Magnesium.

Back
Top Bottom