El Cheapo Refugium Build! WITNESS ME!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lexis009

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi Everyone! I am going to put together an EXTREMELY cheap refugium for a 20 gallon long, heavily planted, freshwater setup. I am doing so with found items and other used equipment picked up at a Re-use center. I have everything I need (I think...) to assemble it at a value of ~$35! :brows:

So feel free to comment and watch as I blow this DIY out of the water :ROFLMAO:, or fail miserably.:hide:

Ok, Well let's get started then! First off, I'll list my my equipment off with the price I paid for it.

Refugium container new $13
File box ~5 gal capacity

submersible pump used $5.50!
heater
clamp light
glass lamp shade for DIY filter

10 ft 1/2" airline tubing new $21
5 ft. mini Aqueon syphon
filter media
5 pack 1/2" tees
2 pack 1/2" ball valves

Attachments

• IMG_8788.jpg
    IMG_8788.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 75
Now I already have the pieces for my filter portion ready, So I'll tell you how I'm putting it together.
I'm putting my pump inside the glass lampshade packed in by a bunch of filter media, with the outlet tube going through the small hole in the top.
I cut the airline tube about an inch past the glass so I could place a tee and ball valve to control flow, and past this I put the rest of the line that will fee the display.

the pics will explain this better I hope! :lol:

Attachments

• IMG_8790.jpg
    IMG_8790.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_8792.jpg
    IMG_8792.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 76
What are you putting in there for plants?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What are you putting in there for plants?

Good question Brookster, part of the reason I want to add a refugium is because of my over growing plants, I have narrow leaf anachris and Java moss coming out of my ears, I don't like to trash extra plants so I generally give them away. I don't like the way my display looks like a jungle in the meantime though, so I'll stash the clippings down below.

I have a low light planted tank that's why I have several fast growing plants, the logic was that they would be hardy and not grow as quickly...I was wrong. All of them just keep getting bigger! :facepalm:

Anarchis would be good!

I admire the plan but suspect you don't have enough pump to overcome the head pressure?
Yeah, I've thought about it too, if this size pump is too weak I have a small pond pump kicking around I could use instead. But I would like to keep a light flow because I have a rose petal rescue betta that has a hard time getting around.

Yeah, I've thought about it too, if this size pump is too weak I have a small pond pump kicking around I could use instead. But I would like to keep a light flow because I have a rose petal rescue betta that has a hard time getting around.

How do you plan to get water to sump?
What are your plans?
Overflow/drill....?

I have made cheap sumps/wet dry with empty tank and cat litter bucket!!
Still use ^this one^ on my 120 fowlr.

Anarchis would be good!

Yeah, I love the narrow leaf kind! It doesn't fall apart as easily as the regular I've noticed. It's competed very well with the hornwort and riccia.

How do you plan to get water to sump?
What are your plans?
Overflow/drill....?

I have made cheap sumps/wet dry with empty tank and cat litter bucket!!
Still use ^this one^ on my 120 fowlr.
I plan on making a DIY overflow, I was going to tackle that next. I want to assemble it with 1/2" clear airline tubing instead of pvc piping. I haven't seen it done yet so I am going to find out soon enough! I want it to be unobtrusive.

Alrighty, I've put together the proto overflow now, I just eyeballed some 1/2 inch pipes and fitted them with leftover tees! I also made the inlet out of the plastic syphon portion.

Let's hope this works! Testing phase is next!

Attachments

• IMG_8804.jpg
    IMG_8804.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 69
Alrighty, I've put together the proto overflow now, I just eyeballed some 1/2 inch pipes and fitted them with leftover tees! I also made the inlet out of the plastic syphon portion.

Let's hope this works! Testing phase is next!

The problem I see with that is that the plastic tubing hardens and loosens up around those connectors with time and that could cause a catastrophic failure of the overflow. Best case scenario when that happens it empties the refugium and burns out the pump. Worst case, it overflows the aquarium and burns out your pump.

If it were me working on this, I would instead take the larger solid plastic tubing, heat it up with a torch, and then you can shape it into the connecting shapes that you need. Use an epoxy or something to seal it and then be done with it. Either that, or find a piece thats long enough to make a single tube overflow.

The problem I see with that is that the plastic tubing hardens and loosens up around those connectors with time and that could cause a catastrophic failure of the overflow. Best case scenario when that happens it empties the refugium and burns out the pump. Worst case, it overflows the aquarium and burns out your pump.

If it were me working on this, I would instead take the larger solid plastic tubing, heat it up with a torch, and then you can shape it into the connecting shapes that you need. Use an epoxy or something to seal it and then be done with it. Either that, or find a piece thats long enough to make a single tube overflow.

Hose clamps;) not pretty but no leakyyyy

A large portion of that is submerged though. Much less pretty when it rusts :)

I got stainless steel clamps, I wouldn't put them in the tank though.. fancy nylon clamps, think they require a special tool though?? Heat it!!

I got stainless steel clamps, I wouldn't put them in the tank though.. fancy nylon clamps, think they require a special tool though?? Heat it!!

I have no idea, I've never seen nylon clamps

Why can't this be hard plumbed and glued properly?
The overflow is the most critical part of any sump/wet dry configuration!
When the overflow fails the floor gets wet!!!

Back
Top Bottom