Elastics/rubber bands safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hamburgler

Aquarium Advice Activist
Quick question...couldnt find anything after searching.

I was wondering if rubber bands are aquarium safe? I was going to use one to wrap some filter floss around my filter intake tube to avoid sand getting sucked up.

thanks!

I use it to hold my java fern or anubias down until it roots. I have not have a problem with it, though I don't know for certain it's 100% safe. The big problem in your situation would be that rubber bands do get brittle under water after a while and will break. A better solution would be to use fishing line, get a prefilter for your intake, or you can tie a section of new, unwashed pantyhose over it.

The rubber bands wont hurt anything. A sponge over the end of your intake would probably work better than the floss.

yet another tricked I have learned from youguys...pantyhose as a filter sock, and to think I spent so much money on those mesh ones grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

:oops:

And to think i have some substrate in pantyhose (in the tank) right now waiting to into a new tank to start the cycle. Well...next time i do maintenance on it i will switch.

I was worried about the rubber bands too-I got some silicone bands from the "hair accessories" section of the drugstore. They come in clear and black, too-much less obtrusive.

Back
Top Bottom