electric blue jack demsey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SWerner13

Aquarium Advice Freak
Right now I have an established 55 gallon aquarium with a 4" long-finned albino oscar. I am upgrading soon to a 90 gallon tank.

I was thinking I might add an electric blue jack dempsey. I was wondering if you all had any information on them. Are they the same as regular jacks or do they require different things? Do you think they will jive with the oscar in an aquarium that size? thanks

Like any other large cichlid, no one can say for certain, yes or no, that it will get along with the oscar. Mixing large aggressive fish is always a hit or miss thing, more experienced keepers have made it an art form by finding ways to use things like tank decorations and target fish to keep the peace. Good luck with that. By the way, I should add, as I am sure you know, oscars get 10-12 inches, the dempsey will get 4-5 inches on a good day, lots of size and waste production going to be going on for a 55 gallon. Water quality will need to be kept in check. Bill

I have a regular JD in my 55 with two oscars, a convict, and a firemouth.
So far so good.. but I've noticed a bit more aggression toward my smaller Oscar (5 inches) from the larger Oscar. (It is about 7 inches long)
But like themagicguy wrote... sometimes it works.. sometimes it doesn't.

Not sure what will happen when I put them all in the 110 gallon setup that I have just about ready to fill and cycle.

From what I've read on EBJDs.. they have been bred with recessive genes to achieve the blue coloration.
And those recessive genes make them weaker than normal JDs.

That is just what I have personally read about them.
It by no means makes it true or false.
Just the information that I have found on them.

Oh.. and my JD was very skittish when I first got him/her.

Lasted for about 3 or 4 months.

But so timid anymore.

He fends for himself at dinner time.

I just though of this... my big O only messes with the little O... never really bothers anyone else..

Now the algae eater in the tank.. get in it's space... and it will attack!

the big oscar is setting dominance.. and will continue to do so.. i had to get rid of mine because of that stuff

I was kind of thinking that.. but was hoping....

Once they start to mature.... days are probably numbered....but I'm still optimistic..
For how much longer.. not sure!

And those recessive genes make them weaker than normal JDs.

This is the information I was mostly concerned about when writing this post. I can get them much cheaper than retail (like 20 bucks I think) but I still don't wanna wasted that money either. If they are going to be more sensitive to climate changes or unable to defend themselves against an oscar or whatever than I don't wanna risk it. Does anyone have any experience with these?

Yeah EBJD's are known to just randomly die (my friend breeds them) they are a little girly compared to normal JD's but then again JD's aren't really that agro anyway. My friends EBJD's won't even eat endler guppies.

Back
Top Bottom