Electric Blue Ram spot on head

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IcU_LQQKn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I noticed last night that my electric blue ram has what appears to be a white pimple on his head. Is it ICH? It is the only spot on her and none of my other fish show any signs. As a precaution, I upped the water temp to 86 degrees. Any help would be appreciated in diagnosing it.

Attachments

• EBR_spotcrop.jpg
    EBR_spotcrop.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 90
Does it look like a grain of salt? How long have u had the fish? Is the fish breathing harder than normal?

I would say it is about the size of a grain of salt maybe a tad bigger. I have had the pair of EBR for two weeks. Everything has been fine until last night when I noticed it. Breathing wise is hard to tell. With the raised tank temp, they are all breathing a little harder even with the addition of an air stone.

Lots more info needed. Everything and all things.. spare no details on your setup.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Lots more info needed. Everything and all things.. spare no details on your setup.

Planted 29G with Ecoxotic E60
Injected CO2 with EI dosing
Following Water Parameters via API Master
ph 6.8
.25 Ammonia
0 Trite
30 Trate
Phosphate 5
Gh 5
Kh 3

Fish Stock
3 Cardinal Tetra
6 Neon Tetra
2 Electric Blue Ram (2 weeks old)
3 Habrosus Cory
6 Ghost Shrimp

Edit: Tank has been running since last August. Was converted to planted first week of November.

Last edited:
No ammonia? ? Just a glitch? ? Traces are a bit high for rams,.wc schedule ??

EI Dosing
Su/T/Th Macro
M/W/F Micro
WC Sunday
50% Water Change on Sunday

Not sure I understand your Ammonia comment. It has consistently tested at .25 ppm via API card. It is not yellow but a slightest green tint.

I believe your ram has what my ram has. Check out.my thread. Search ram pimp or look at the top of the list.

Do you have a QT? How many days has it been since first noticed? I been treating mine with metro and PraziPro. Temp in the QT is 82 and I been adding 2 tsp of aquarium salt per 5 gallons. He has now been in QT for 10 days and is looking good.

Any updates on how your ram is doing?

My ram is looking good, seems like a full recovery is likely.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The spot disappeared a day after my post. Was really worried it might be HITH or hexamita so I dosed with metronidazole as a precaution. She is looking fine now. So I'm not sure what the issue is or was. Going to keep water temp up for another week just incase ICH is present with them being a little stressed out.

Really need to QT setup in the near future.

thats great to hear, did it completely go away with nothing left? does it look like a hole is remaining? any updated pics?

my ram today looks like its all cleared up today too, but it took almost 2 weeks to clear up and the spot was smaller than yours. I am going to keep him in QT for a few more days to ensure he is truly over it.

I am assuming both of our rams had hith but we both caught it very quickly and medicated before it could progress. obviously this is best case scenario.

What do you think brought it in in your case? any major changes to the tank? water quality? poor diet? or just random?

The only thing I can think of for my ram is that I did a pretty good rescape in my tank just days before and that must of caused a spike in organics due to messing the substrate up. also the stress of my working in the tank for several hours.

The more we can learn from this the less likely for it to show up again.

Last question, how did you give you ram metro? mixed with food or dosed to the water? what dosage did you use?

As far as I can tell, there is no permanent mark where the white spot was. I actually had to look at my pics to see which ram was effected. Now to the cause of it, I have no clue.

For you question on dosing metro. I used API general care and dosed the water. Since she was not in QT, I felt it a better way to treat her and to possibly catch anything before affecting the other fish in the tank.

I am glad both of us had a positive outcome with a very similar issue.

We are the first cases I have read online where the rams didn't die.

I also does the water in the QT.

Keep me updated on how things go.

How old are your rams?

Oh they are young. Mines over a year old now

Back
Top Bottom