electric green neon tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyric112209

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I currently have 4 regular neon tetras waiting for My tank to Btw completely cycled which should be soon, I was thinking of getting a few electric green neon tetras the 2-3 inch rounder looking fish...if anyone has experience with them can you tell me if they will school with the smaller tetras or just there own kind and what are they like?

The electric green tetras are not neon tetras, if you are thinking of this fish:
GloFish Electric Green Tetra Fluorescent Fish, Tetras & Rasboras | PetSolutions

If that's the fish you were asking about, they are actually a genetically modified version of the black/white skirt tetra, Gymnocorymbus ternetzi. They are not dyed, but as genetically modified fish, you'll find differing opinions on the ethics of keeping/purchasing them within the hobbyist community.

Depending on what size tank you have, they should be ok to keep with neons. Skirt tetras will grow quite a bit larger than neons, and can have a tendency to nip if not kept in large enough numbers. I wouldn't keep them in tanks less than 20 gallons.

IMO it's wrong, fish are beautiful enough with out messing with there genetics - but each to there own.

I think it would be worse if they were injected with dye, which they aren't....I'm looking for people who may have them...what are your experiencea with them?

Back
Top Bottom