elevating flourescent fixture

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

malonbl

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am wanting a few floating plants for my low light tank, but I currently have a glass canopy and a fluorescent fixture sitting on top. I want to remove the glass top and elevate (very slightly) my light fixture to allow room for floating plants. Are there bracketing kits of some sort available for this? Or maybe some have done this in a "homemade" way and could share some tips

Some light fixture manufacturers sell suspension kits; or, legs to help elevate the fixture a bit. If yours does not have that option, you'll most likely need to research some DIY methods -- depending on that fixture. Some use conduit pipe and bend them 90 degrees. Some use steel wire, while some use chains. If not conduit pipe, you can use shelf brackets, if your tank is up against a wall, to hold the wire/chain to suspend the light. But if your light is weak to begin with for a "low light tank," it will get even weaker if you suspend it... so will that impact your plant species close to the substrate? You might need a stronger light if that's the case.

Yeah, I have thought about the loss of PAR with elevation. In fact, I have considered upgrading to a dual T8 or dual T5-NO on this tank. I want to keep it low light, but would like to be higher within the low-light range. So, If I could get a dual fixture and elevate a few inches, I think I would be where I want to be.

I have posted on this forum's classified about wanting a dual bulb fluorescent fixture.

The wall brackets are a good idea as this tank is against the wall.

You can get some nice L brackets that are decorative and just attach to the wall and hang the light from them. I have done that. You can use a metal coat hanger and cut pieces off of it to make a hanging bracket. Check Youtube out for some great diy hanging ideas. You can also just tie some rope around each end of the light. Most lights have an inch or so on the ends that the light doesn't extend too. You can also get hanging kits in the housewares sections of most stores. Cheaper than straight aquarium supply route.

Back
Top Bottom