Eliminating Canister Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vmalpi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a small 36gal tank, i started this with a "wet/dry" canister from eheim, about 2 months ago I added a real "wet/dry" sump refugium with the sand and algae and all that...
I want now to remove that eheim that has been running since I started the tank (7-8 months ago),... This filter has 2 chambers of bio media inside, should I remove little by little or can I just shut off and remove the entire filter?

it depends on how long you have had the sump going for. and i would put all the bio media inside a fillter bag and ljust set it in the aquarium for about a month, then take it out. also what is liveing in the aquarium.

I agree, move the biological filtration to the sump for a time so it can seed the rest. FWIW, you can certainly keep the canister for added flow and a place to run chemical filtration as needed.

I would keep the canister for extra flow but the main reason i want to remove it is because of space, i have a small cabinet and the refugium is taking ALL the space. I currently have the canister ouside next to the cabinet.
To answer Kribensis_2004, I've been running the refugium for almost 2 months.

IMO you can remove it but as Brian said you might want to keep it to run GAC if you have any problems.

Back
Top Bottom