emerald crab reviews?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I used to have two of them....green ones. But they got big and one of them took a large chunk out of the backside of a tang....he died two days later. Needless to say, I removed them from my system.

I know a lot of people have them and have had no problems, but just understand that when they get big, it's a chance you're gonna take.

I have 2 in my 37gal. Right now they are very small, 1" or less and pose no threat to any of my fish. I like them a lot, they are very cool to watch when you can find them and they love to eat algea.

I too have heard that they can get problemsome when they get larger, but I can't imagine that they grow that quickly.

HTH

John

I have two of them in my 46g bowfront. They are really cool to watch when they are out and about. They really like to hide though, can go a couple days and not see them. They are probably around 1" or so, haven't had any issues with them killing anything.

I have one that I never bought. Must have come in with the last batch of LR. Everybody talks about how they like to watch there`s but I`ve only seen mine two times in the last year. He never comes out. But he is a good cleaner

I have one in my 29 gal reef tank and it does just fine. He recently shed his exoskeleton and lost one of his pichers. Now he just has one, but hes still munchin down with that one claw.

I have one Emerald that's about 1-in in diameter, and has been for 6 months. So far, it's quite peaceful and a pleasure to have in the tank.

I had one which was about 1 in. He was very fun to watch until he started munching on my star polyps and yellow leather. My 6 in. diameter yellow leather died shortly after being munched by the crab... :x I threw him in the old 20G without heater, filter, or anything; just SW, LS and some LR rubbles and hes still thriving lol! He's been in there for 2 weeks haha

I have one that I got as a hitchhiker on a piece of LR. Haven't seen him in a while...

i think im going to get one when i deside when im goin to get a shrimp

i see mine about once a week and all he does is grab at my tang.he always picks at algae put as for bubble algae, which i thought they were suppose to love, he has never touched it. ive actually seen him crawl across it to get to my tang.

I HATE EMERALD CRABS!! I just sold both of mine to the LFS. I found them destroying zoos, leathers etc on more than one occassion. I have not had a good experience compared to other people. I'm really happy i got rid of them them because now i don't have to worry about my corals anymore.

As you can see there are differing opinions and results. I am in the camp of not keeping anything with claws in my tank (other than ornamental shrimp). IMO, unless you overfeed the tank so all the claws are sated, they will attempt to eat other livestock. It's in their nature :(

cmor1701d said:
As you can see there are differing opinions and results. I am in the camp of not keeping anything with claws in my tank (other than ornamental shrimp). IMO, unless you overfeed the tank so all the claws are sated, they will attempt to eat other livestock. It's in their nature :(

2nd and 2nd. I am quite conservative on the feedings so that makes sense to me. I was able to hand feed my emeralds though...i just didn't do it enough. They were very tame and would allow me to put things right next to them. I wish i could have kept them, but it wasn't in the best interest of the greater good for the reef.

I gave my crab another chance today lol. I found a batch of bubble algae in my main and decided to experiment if my emerald crab would eat it. I hope he learned the lesson that if he mess with my corals, he'll be transfer back to a tank without filtration, heater, etc lol

I have three..
So far no problems with them.. altho I have noticed one of my firefish is missing a little bit of his tail (the two firefish live in a small cave at the sandbed, so I could see a crab thinking it was a bit of food and nipping at it).

Unfortunatly they are starting to get big, so they will need to be transferred to the new tank for algae eating duty..

Also, if you have a nicely macro planted tank, prepare for it to get eaten... Before I knew it one emerald crab had munched through a whole patch of macros in my macro growing tank..

(live and learn)

I have an emerald and he has not bothered any of my corals yet. He is definatly cool to watch and other people love him.

Back
Top Bottom