emerald crab

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mandown123

Aquarium Advice Freak
i was thinking of getting an emerald crab to help control hair algae and cause hes cool looking. Will he bother/ kill my fish though? I was worried because my canary wrasse sleeps in the sand at night. is this dangerous? does anyone have any good/bad stories about emerald crabs. Id love to hear before i decide to pick one up.

Thanks!!

I`ve had a few over the years and never had any problems but Crabs are crabs and I`m sure there will be others with different experiences. Also I really dont think they will help too much on hair algea. They have been known to take care of bubble algea though. As far as the hair algea let`s try to get to the root of the problem

FantasyReef Databases-Viewing item "10 Step Plan for Nuisance Algae Control"

Melosu - I have heard that the can devestate a hair algae problem - is that incorrect?

I have i think turned the tide of the hair algae fight.. I see it dying, like shrivveling up in places but it is so thick in other spots its hard to kill. I put a phosphate pad in my filter, doing PWCs with RO water (it isn't 100% phosphate free, i tested, but its better than tap) and reduced my photo period. Added hermits and a few snails. Don't feed even every day anymore, partially because my fish just eat the hair all day basically. I don't know what else I can really do, but on one rock which is very shielded from the light it has almost completely died off. My overall phosphates are down but not out.

I still like the crab though because he's cool and Ive always been a fan of crabs ever since i was a kid catching blue claws.

thanks melosu, you always have the sweet articles right at hand haha. you da man

i think i will get him. I like the look of the little guy

Back
Top Bottom