Emersed growth advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here is first emersed growth!

paludarium051106_crypt_newgrowth.jpg

paludarium051106_reineckii_newgrowth.jpg

everything else still looks bad :)

Got the lights; full set-up pic.

tank_palud051129.jpg

Thanks guys.

Crypt wendtii
emersed_crypts_111605.jpg

emersed_crypt_whole_111605.jpg

emersed_crypts_left_111605.jpg

emersed_crypts_right_111605.jpg

Pogostemon stellata narrow leaf. I had a stem floating in my natural sunlit tank and it shed, then put out growth above the surface. I took that part of the stem and put it where L. repens failed, and interestingly it is growing.
emersed_pstellata_111605.jpg

Here is lucidcentral page on it. Pretty cool: http://www.lucidcentral.com/keys/APPW/html/pogostemon_images.html

I had hoped humidity of water flow would be enough, but everything seems to grow better with daily misting.

Just an update.

As mentioned earlier I have no mechanical filtration between the main and this tank and think it may be contributing to the ugly going on. I need to get the moss going on the concrete for some pretty.

The crypts in the bottom section are growing from different spots and dying at the same rate. I have begun a more traditional emersed culture setup using natural sunlight to make sure this is not because of the layout and lack of drainage:
crypt_wendtii_112905.jpg

Higher up with faster flow they do not get far from this plantlet stage:
crypt_wendtii_bronze_112905.jpg

P. stellata narrow leaf likes it though:
p_stellata_narrow_112905.jpg

Anubias barterii var nana petite seems to too: three new leaves in only a short time. Submerged section has Juncus repens, Crypt sp, and Polygonom sp.
anubias_petite_112905.jpg

Well it sure looks like the Anubias and Pogostemon like emersed culture. I'm surprised the Crypts aren't just flourishing, it really looks like a perfect environment for them. I'll bet they start thriving soon :)

After all this time, here are my two most succesful emersed crypts.
crypt2_060217.jpg

crypt1_060217.jpg

They just stay at this state. I am disconnecting the project and washing it down(its gross looking), and will continue with the experiment by exploring fish-safe potting mixes from experienced aquarists, but suspect emersed growth is simply too advanced for me. I may start trying bog plants next.

That's a shame Joe. I'm wondering if the flowing water didn't have something to do with the lack of growth. It's strange that Crypts thrive in those kinds of conditions in the wild though. Keep working on new ideas though. I really like the concept you've got there. Sooner or later you'll find something that works :wink:

have you torn it down yet?

Ive been told by my grandmother that to get moss to grow up on rock and well anything the trick is buttermilk/water solution (yea kinda gross sounding) she said that the % really isnt important.
shade and high humidity also being important.

I have no idea if I told you that already and if I did opps..

I took it down, rinsed it off, and put it back. Still only trying aquatic plants though considering getting some bog plants next time I go to the LFS.

GM,. nope, you had not told me about the buttermilk thing. I am up for trying it outside the tank. (The water column in this tank is shared by fish and inverts.) Do you mind asking your grandmother if she knows why the buttermilk and water work so well?

Thanks.

she told me it was the natural bacteria was some kind of food source. she learned it in her master gardneing classes at purdue. She might have used it over the years, Im not sure, I dont get to talk to her much anymore (she lives up by Chicago..)

Making progress. Those two crypts from above. Maybe C. walkerii?
crypt_060330.jpg

hydrocotyleandcrypt_060330.jpg

Still ugly, but java moss is really attaching to the concrete
javamoss_060330.jpg

javamoss2_060330.jpg

Moved in L. repens "Rubin" last week, and its grown ~2" all emersed! I'm tying to get Stargrass to follow it out of the water
repensRubin_060330.jpg

repensRubin2_060330.jpg

I moved submersed C. wendtii into a new planting pocket I thought I had killed R. rotundifolia in months ago, and now R. rotundifolia is peeking up around it.
cryptandrotalas_new060330.jpg

My dosing is esentially the same as its always been, save for a little lower N and no longer dosing Excel in my trace mix. I wonder if it has something to do with it, or if I'm just having a little better luck after hosing down the structure.

Slowly but surely.
palud_060521.jpg

With the main tank
tankpalud_060521.jpg

I have not grown anything successfully where the water flows fastest, and just ended up sticking a bunch of trims and hope something grows.
toparea_060521.jpg

leftside_060521.jpg

Right side with Java moss, Crypt walkerii (?), and Hydrocotyle sp.
rightside_060521.jpg

The Java moss is growing up the sides without training it.
moss_060521.jpg

My only successful crypt. I do not know what it is.
crypt_060521.jpg

crypt_top_060521.jpg

C. wendtii.
cryptwendtii_060521.jpg

H. leucocephala
hleucocephala_060521.jpg

P. palustris aka "Mermaid weed"
ppalustris_060521.jpg

Older pics of L. repens "Rubin"
lrepens_rubin_top060410.jpg

lrepens_rubin_side060410.jpg

The structure kind of acts like a wet/dry, and so is very messy with plant matter from the main. I did not intentionally plant M. tenerum here and have not spread it around. Now everywhere there's a water fall, there's M. tenerum. The red plant is L. repens "Rubin"
mtenerum_060521.jpg

Didn't plant the M. umbrosum here either. I think it came from the mass of plants I dumped "upstream" a month or so ago.
mumbrosum_060521.jpg

I thought I got rid of all my Riccia over six months ago and never put it in the paludarium section. Didn't notice this until today.
riccia_060521.jpg

I think this is R. rotundifolia
rrotundifolia_060521.jpg

So I am not having much success but have hope. I am now spraying once a week with a weak solution of KNO3 and KH2PO4. The water column is ~10ppm NO3, ~3ppm PO4, >40ppm K, 2mL TMG 3*week, 4 dkH, 6.4 pH, >40ppm CO2, 50% water change weekly. Suggestions appreciated.

Looking good. The M. tenerum will spread everywhere overtime. I placed it in my "prefilter" side in my tank. I stays misted and high humidity. It has crept and covered the top filter and has started to cover the dividers in that section of the tank.

Sounds neat. I am thinking about pulling all of it off, separting the Java moss, and them putting M tenerum back in those sections. I think the structure will be more attractive that way. Does your emersed M. tenerum fluff out or stay pretty flat?

All the work is starting to pay off! Nice work czcz;

There's something like this floating around in my head as well... someday :)

So far it is flat, it has formed about a 1/2 inch thick blanket over the prefilter. I took most of it out of my tank because of that cursed stuff (java moss). Only time it fluffed out was when grown in the tank. Made a very nice mound but then java moss got all entangled in it so I will start over in the tank with "java free" stuff.

Back
Top Bottom