Emperor 400 on a 55 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ksfishguy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can an Emperor 400 handle filtration on a 55 gallon. I am thinking about using one as the only filtration, at least for the time being. I have a newly painted metal stand that looks great. It is open and I don't want any filters on the bottom. I am thinking of adding a HOT Magnum later if needed. Any thoughts? By the way, I am adding Lake Malawi cichlids when cycled...won't be for a month or two after getting it setup.

Sure, I'd think you'd be fine with one 400 on a 55. I have two on my heavily stocked 75 if that gives you an idea. You may want to add as much mechanical filtration to the compartment as possible, but it should keep the water pretty clear with decent water changes.

I've got 2 canister filters on my 125 gallon malawi setup...filstar XP3s. MUCH quieter and less maintenance that the HOB like the Emperors. You may consider using one of these on your 55...and that would certainly be enough. You can get the tank closer to the wall this way too!

I have 2 on my 55G. Mainly because the other end of the tank didn't have much, if any, circulation. You can always place a powerhead on the other end to help circulate the water. The Emperor 400 should do just fine on the 55G.

I use an Emperor 400 and an Emperor 280 on my 55 gallon, and that works great for me. A 400 should be ok by itself, but I agree with LWB that you should add a powerhead on the other side of the tank to prevent dead spots. Malawi cichlids are messy fish so you may decide you want another filter later on, and if so the HOT Magnum would be fine. :D

Thanks for the advice everyone. I ordered the Emperor 400 and the Hot Magnum 250 online. My LFS wanted $189.00 for the Emperor 400!
Thanks again.

ksfishguy said:
Thanks for the advice everyone. I ordered the Emperor 400 and the Hot Magnum 250 online. My LFS wanted $189.00 for the Emperor 400!
Thanks again.

Wow, that's extremely overpriced. I had a Emporer 400 on my 55 gal until it crapped out because of power surges.

It worked great for about 4 years. I never had any problems with it and maintenance on it was very easy. I just recently bought an Aquaclear in place of it, mainly because my LFS doesn't carry Emporers.

I couldn't believe the price either. The owner was not at the store at the time, they have three in stock and they are covered in dust...

WOW, ksfishguy, that is the highest price I have ever heard for the Emperor 400. My old LFS sold them for $99.99 and I thought that was bad!!!

I'm sure you will be happy with the filters that you ordered. Good luck!

It is pretty bad when the employee's are telling you to look elsewhere for equipment. I live in a town of approx. population of 45,000, we have two local pet stores that carry tropical fish, but only one that sells a full compliment of supplies and equipment. I know it can't be easy to make it with the size of market we have, but $189.00 is so high I can't believe they would ever sell one. They must have gotten a really bad deal from their supplier, most of their other prices are not that bad.

Well, I have the Emperor 400 hooked up as well as the HOT Magnum 250. They work well together, the Emperor is a beast of a HOB filter, wow that machine can move some water. The HOT Magnum does a good job of circulation with a strong output. Tank looks great!

Back
Top Bottom