Emperor filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

physicsdude

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all- I need some advice from u guys on this one. I had an aquaclear recently just die on my main tank, so instead of going cheap, I thought I would go gold and buy either the 280 or 400 emperor filter. I have a 20 gallon tank with 4 2" keyholes, 1 4" Dojo Loach, 2 1.5" Chocolate gouramis, and 1 5.5" BGK. I plan on upgrading the tank to a 30 or 38 gallon tank soon to accommodate them. Would the emperor 400 be overkill even on those bigger tanks or would the 280 be fine on my 20 gallon tank now and be good on those larger tanks I described?
Also, regarding the emperor filters, are they a noisy bunch with the spray bar driven bio-wheel? I ask as it sounds like that would casue some splashing, which is not a plus to me as the aquariums are in my bedroom. Thanks

filter

Hey dude!! Sorry, I just could not resist that one. lol I have one emperor 280, 2 penguins that came with used gear and 2 aquaclears. Honestly, I would save the money and get another AC. The Marineland filters are nice ....... but not worth the extra money. PLUS, the AC is far more useful and flexible as far as filter media. The emperor has vertical slots designed for cartridges. Expensive cartridges. I don't use them, make my own, but still not as easy to use.

The emperor has a similar noise to the AC and seems just as bulletproof. The bio wheel, while good in theory, does not seem much of an advantage when you also have filter media, gravel, plants, etc for bacteria to colonize.

Bottom line, the emperor is a good choice. I just prefer ACs. Either way, good luck!!!

I've used both Emperors and Aquaclears in the past, and I like both brands. The Aquaclear is more quiet, but wasn't as durable for me as the Emperor. I'll be honest here, think my ACs would have lasted a lot longer if I had done maintenance on them when I should have, but being a relative NOOB at the time, I didn't. The Emperors are really durable IME, but the thing I really don't like about them (other than the noise) is the proprietary cartridges. As JefferyL already mentioned, the ACs are more customizable, and the foam blocks in them don't need to be replaced until they are falling apart.

If you have the money, and you are looking for a top-notch, reliable, quiet filter, try a canister. I use a Fluval and a Rena Filstar, and have been nothing but satisfied with both brands. They are both practically silent too.

IMO a emperor would be overkill on a 20 gal. I have various sizes of penguin bio wheel filters, whispers, and a emperor 280. IME, out of all of them the whisper has been the most trouble free. The penguin bio-wheels seem to have a problem starting up after power has been disrupted. Of course I only tear them down for a cleaning 2-3 times a year. Also as far as penguin cartridges for the bio-wheels and emperors go, dr fosters is selling some nice generic replacements for them that include a reuseable sponge. I think they were 4 for $10 on a emperor.

Hey,
Yea, thats a good idea about the sponges online. I was looking at the penguin model series as well, and found that they are similar in design, yet lack that spray bar. A friend of mine says that's the big differrence between the emperor and penguin lines: the spray bar. He says that the penguin wheel slows and stops often as the bacteria builds, requiring lots of adjustment and sometimes phone calls to marinelands customer service group. But the emperor has that spray bar which drives the wheel, thus erasing any adjusting or calling ppl. The canisters are very nice indeed- I have heard nothing but praise of the magnum and fluval lines. But, as a cash-strapped college student, I wish could field something to buy one of those beauties, but perhaps in time. In the meantime, I'm just curious how you people feel about the penguins vs the emperors. Thanks!

emperor

Peyton, thanks loads for the info on the reusable cartridges from Drsfostersmith! Ordered some for the emperor and penguin. DIY is fun, but sometimes it is nice to let someone else do the hard parts. lol

Physicsdude, one other big difference between the emperor and penguin filters is the emperor has an adjustable water flow. I have mine on a 30 gal cube tank. The flow adjustment can make a big difference in how strong the current in the tank is. Of course so does an Aqua Clear. And as Peyton said, a 280 is a bit of overkill for a 20 gal.

Whichever way you go, maintenance may be more importent than brand. Depending on a lot of factors, especially the tank it is running on, one filter just may need more cleaning to run well. Ain't equipment shopping fun?? lol

physics dude, i dont know what all fish you have besides a BGK, but BGKs love a strong water flow, i think that the emperors may be too powerful though

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom