encouraging fin growth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

laur94x

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a tank with 1 small black moor and 1 small calico fantail coldwater fish. My black moor recently had a bad case of fin rot, it is now completely treated and he seems absolutely fine in himself and still swims fine but his fins and tail are now very short and jagged. My levels are all fine and although I now know my tank is too small for them due to their bioload and the fact that they can grow very large, I am desperately trying to get a bigger tank for them (although they're still only small at the moment). I also do regular water changes, the size depends on my levels. I normally do about 2x 25% changes a week and I gravel vac too.

My problem is his fins/tail don't seem to be growing back at all and I was wondering if there was any way icould encourage this?
Its mainly one side of his tail which is bad and I'm sure it makes it more difficult to swim.
Thanks

The only thing to do is keep the water conditions pristine through water changes, when the nitrates hit 10ppm start changing water to bring them down.

+1
Lots & lots of healthy water. I would increase the wcs to 50% atleast 2x/wk, especially if they are in a small tank. You want to keep the nitrates under 10ppm for the moor anyway because high nitrates will burn his delicate eyes. As long as the infection is cleared up, the fins will regrow if the rays (bones) are not badly damaged. This does take time (as in mths). A nutritious diet will help as well.

Back
Top Bottom