Enough oxygen in the water? Fish seem like they are gasping a little (freshly stocked

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mog

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,

I finally cycled my 75g tank and had the pleasure of introducing a few fish to the tank.

One thing I'm concerned about, is the amount of oxygen in the water. I have a fluval 304 and the output is about an inch under water... there's some surface movement, but not sure I would say there is a lot. I have a 3 Bolivian Rams and they seem like they are breathing rather quick. This may be due to stress and being introduced to a new tank, but I wanted to make sure it's not due to lack of oxygen.

I also have some Albino Cory's that make an occasional dash to the surface, there is some flake food floating and want to make sure they are going for food and it's not an oxygen issue as well.

I have 10 plants and 2 pieces of driftwood.

How can I make sure there is enough oxygen in the water for my new fish?

Thanks!

If the top of the tank is unobstructed, and the water temp is not crazy high, chances are you are fine.

The top of the tank is completely unobstructed. No plants on top, no glass, etc... The Rams just seem like they are gasping/breathing a lot faster than they were in the lfs. I would rather be safe than sorry :)

Mine did too at first. You should be fine. They adjust

My cories always dash up for air every so often. So that's normal as for rams, I have never owned one. But if your concerned about oxogen maybe putting in a bubble bar would easy your mind.

A spray bar on your Fluval output would create more surface agitation if you want to go that route.

Back
Top Bottom